Faverolles Thread

Hi,

When do Faverolles usually start to lay? Mine is 17 weeks old today, so I'm wondering when to start looking for eggs! She's still very little though, I won't expect one too soon :) She's hatchery quality if that matters (from Cackle).

When have everybodys Faverolles layed?

Thank you!
ya.gif
- I have a friend who is set up for hatching, she would love to do the honors! Yes, a couple of mine are molting too, poor things, they look ragged.... I look forward to meeting you
yesss.gif
lol.png

why wouldnt your vet just give him albon
Albon works for coccidia in dogs & cats, but i've never seen it used in chickens, or any other bird. There is no coccidiocidal medication readily available for use in chickens. The only med that is truly coccidiocidal in chickens is extremely cost prohibitive, and at least here is only available through the university, it costs about $600.

The only meds we have for use in chickens are coccidiostatic, which means that it makes it impossible for the cocci to reproduce, which lightens the cocci load to a level the birds can deal with. Most chickens that live in a wet climate carry cocci all the time.

I don't know why her vet used Baytril for cocciciosis in her chicken, that part doesn't make sense to me.

Hi,

When do Faverolles usually start to lay? Mine is 17 weeks old today, so I'm wondering when to start looking for eggs! She's still very little though, I won't expect one too soon :) She's hatchery quality if that matters (from Cackle).

When have everybodys Faverolles layed?
It will vary a bit between hatchery & breeder birds, but most likely between 24-28 weeks. ;)

More proof that chickens don't care a thing about whatever plans we might have for them....I just went out and found my awesome little buff cockerel dead....I was planning on using him as my main breeding male for the bantam buffs next spring....
hit.gif

sigh....now to decide what issue I'd rather deal with this coming breeding season...toes or beards....

why wouldnt your vet just give him albon
She did, that's the name I couldn't remember! Thank you...She ran a fecal test and determined he had cocci, but she gave the baytril for possible secondary infections. I just couldn't believe it. He was the only one with it, and they were on medicated feed at that time. The vet said she thought he might be getting pushed away from the feed, she said he was thin..... that's how he got cocci. - I have 4 feeders and water points spread out all over the coop - and the poor little guy was starving to death?! I felt horrible.

It will vary a bit between hatchery & breeder birds, but most likely between 24-28 weeks. ;)
...or whenever it is least convenient
lol.png
Kidding aside, mine are typically very well grown before they lay, often as late as 6 months or more depending on time of year, and some have started even later then that. Worst was a pullet who was 10 months before she started... but it was during hurricane season where I live in a fairly bad year so I don't count that

Curious...is she a bird vet, or is she a vet that's just willing to see your chickens? I've never seen albon used in a bird in over 12 years in the field....wondering if that's not what's made him a little neuro...???

More proof that chickens don't care a thing about whatever plans we might have for them....I just went out and found my awesome little buff cockerel dead....I was planning on using him as my main breeding male for the bantam buffs next spring....
hit.gif

sigh....now to decide what issue I'd rather deal with this coming breeding season...toes or beards....
I am so sorry. We go from celebrating to having a wake in mere moments....
hugs.gif
Having chickens is just hard....

Back
Top Bottom