Faverolles Thread

sad.png
I don't blame you. At least I get to see your beautiful birds, even if others want to sling mud, instead of just appreciate them for what they are...
I am not slinging mud. I think its awesome what she is doing! I helped Dick get started with his lavandar project. I am totally behind it. Just saying lavendar isn't my personal preference.

It wont be a big part of my breeding program, but a little part for fun. But judging by the level of criticism right out of the gate, I will keep this project to myself.
Please don't take what I said as criticism. We are all in this for something and if Lavs are your love, go for it. *I* on the other hand was owning that as a newbie to Favs, but not to Lav as a project, am no where near being ready to mess with colors and am disappointed when even well bred lavs look tatty. I am a little intimidated by the concensus that Favs are difficult to do well, so, again, the idea of working for colors is WAY beyond me. I do enjoy my Ams for color and they are popular enough that even when their feather quality is diminished by the lav gene they sell so that helps. I admit, I am a sucker for nearly anything splash. I try not to let that get in my way when I am working the business of chickens but its difficult when every splash is so darn pretty! Working with a breed for the breeds sake and for the prosperity of my family makes me look at things differently. Example: I have LF right now but am strongly considering bantam SF. And speaking of pretty, where is that Fleurelle? Gosh, now THAT was a gorgeous bird.

So I have a question for anyone that has experience with multiple roos.
I have two SF boys. One is around 26 weeks and the other is almost 15 weeks. I have them and the pullets that hatched with them in seperate areas of the same run. Today I let them all out to forage together.

Other than the older pullet and one other Sex link hen I have they all seemed to just get along and let each othe be for the most part.

Does anyone have roos together in the same pen? Do they get along ok? Do they ever really fight and things get nasty?

I was kind of astonished today. I thought I would have to break up a fight. The whole thing kind of happened by accident, but that it too long of a story for me to type. But I was pleasantly suprised that they barely gave each other a second look. Just sort of like "Oh, Hey there".

Eventually I am looking to seperate them into pairs and breed them, but it would be nice if they could all be in the main run together for the winter.

What are some of your experiences? Do you keep all your cockerels/cocks seperate from each other?

If I raise them up together before "puberty" - yes, I've had good fortune with my boys being able to get along very well. Recently I had 6 sharing a bachelor pad. - I could even let them all out with the hens and there still wasn't a fuss.... I have yet to have roos that can't get along.... There will be a little sparring and showing off, but usually someone backs down - just the guys establishing a pecking order.... I've had one that didn't get along with anybody, including me (he's in the freezer now).

However, that being said, my mom's experience has been quite different!

Well, my postmaster and I learned a couple of things from this week's disaster.

I'm not sure how many people he had to go through to get this information, but there is indeed a number we can call ahead of time to make sure there is space on a flight that is not carrying dry ice. No one anywhere locally knew this, they had always assumed they couldn't find out what FEDEX did with them. He has the number now, and we'll definitely be calling it before any other birds are shipped. Whether or not that would have made a difference in this case I don't know.

Also, for live shipments brought in Mondays-Wednesdays FEDEX guarantees on time arrival to the USPS. Anything shipped Thursday-Saturday is not, and will likely get bumped for dry ice.

Are you saying FEDEX ships birds? Or is it USPS hands off to FEDEX? - I'm not familiar with the chain of custody in shipping live animals....

If I raise them up together before "puberty" - yes, I've had good fortune with my boys being able to get along very well. Recently I had 6 sharing a bachelor pad. - I could even let them all out with the hens and there still wasn't a fuss.... I have yet to have roos that can't get along.... There will be a little sparring and showing off, but usually someone backs down - just the guys establishing a pecking order.... I've had one that didn't get along with anybody, including me (he's in the freezer now).

However, that being said, my mom's experience has been quite different!

All my breeding pens contain a minimum of 2 males and up to 4 males per colony breeding pen. After selection I usually end up with 12-16 hens for breeders and depending upon the breed will determine if I keep 2, 3, or 4 males in the pen. And when raised together, they will nearly always sort out their differences and reside very well together. Been doing this for years without any problems. My Phoenix are the only exception to this rule.

All my breeding pens contain a minimum of 2 males and up to 4 males per colony breeding pen. After selection I usually end up with 12-16 hens for breeders and depending upon the breed will determine if I keep 2, 3, or 4 males in the pen. And when raised together, they will nearly always sort out their differences and reside very well together. Been doing this for years without any problems. My Phoenix are the only exception to this rule.
I think my mom has Leghorns or RIR that couldn't get along, even though they were sibling/hatchmates. I thought it may be due to a shortage of hens? - I don't have either of those, but the ones I do have get along great. It makes it easier to have a bunch of males :)

A recent picture of my faverolle, Sammy, I wanted to share. She's just hatchery quality but I thinks she's my prettiest pullet :)

I'm so amazed by faverolles beards! They are soooo fluffy!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom