Faverolles Thread

I wouldn't worry about the boys, mine eat and wander together all the time. 2 is a good number....I have 3 and 2 others together in another area....plus some other breeds......eliz
It's also good to keep a back up male, in case something happens to one.

OK, pictures as promised. This is of one of the ones with the wrong number of toes (five on one foot, four on the other). Other than that, she looks like a nice bird to me. I don't know faverolles as well as my daughter but I know one of them she thought looked nicer than the one she took to the show, but without five toes on each foot, that wasn't possible.

The only reason I was thinking a cross with an Ameraucana was that was what I was originally told may have happened. There was also mention of a new rooster at the time, but I really don't know. The older they get, the more they look like faverolles to me but this is all very new to me.

Side view:

Front view:

And close up of those feet.

If I understand what was explained so far regarding the genetics, it really doesn't matter exactly what happened, we shouldn't breed these (other than just for the fun of it . . . my favorite bird is a mutt chicken our duck hatched and raised!).

These are the two that she took to the fair. They did well at the Nebraska State Fair (4-H, not open class). Granted, there were only five birds, but my daughter is happy with these birds. They both have five toes on each foot and it never occurred to me before this discussion that they would have anything other than five toed chicks. Do you think they would breed true? And if the five toes is partially dominant, how many chicks would have to hatch from a pairing before you could be reasonably sure that a bird isn't carrying whatever genes contribute to the odd number of toes?

And all these birds hatched mid April.

The cockerel:

The pullet:

And from the front (her muff is actually a bit fuller than it appears. The birds are wet and a bit dirty from freeranging after heavy rains):

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
you always have 2 roosters on hand just in case you one dies or isnt fertal, i wasted most this year looking for a rooster

I go as far as to keep an extra roo off my property just in case... We've had some serious predators in the past and it's always nice to be able to start over. I share a lot of birds with neighbors and friends just to be sure that our birds are out there if needed.

OK, pictures as promised. This is of one of the ones with the wrong number of toes (five on one foot, four on the other). Other than that, she looks like a nice bird to me. I don't know faverolles as well as my daughter but I know one of them she thought looked nicer than the one she took to the show, but without five toes on each foot, that wasn't possible.

The only reason I was thinking a cross with an Ameraucana was that was what I was originally told may have happened. There was also mention of a new rooster at the time, but I really don't know. The older they get, the more they look like faverolles to me but this is all very new to me.

Side view:

Front view:

And close up of those feet.

If I understand what was explained so far regarding the genetics, it really doesn't matter exactly what happened, we shouldn't breed these (other than just for the fun of it . . . my favorite bird is a mutt chicken our duck hatched and raised!).
I'm going to say I think those are my birds and yes that is a purebred Fav. Looking at her I would not worry that she could be crossed with the Lav Am who may have jumped the fence. I would have culled her for those feet on day one. But since you said you had a large laying flock you planned to add her to, you decided not to. However, since that is not the question of the moment let me try to answer what you've asked. I would not breed this bird since you are hoping for show winners as the toe issue may carry to the offspring...I'd make it simple and put her in the pot but everyone deals with the issue of less than ideal birds in their own way. Since y9o have several quality birds from that hatch including two show winners perhaps you could focus your breeding on them if they have other qualities you are looking to reproduce. Cull heavy if the trait carries and each successive generation will see less of the issue... This is true for most any problem. No matter what line you choose to breed you will find some issues. Each flock is a work in progress and every change (a new roo, closer linebreeding, a new outcrossing... brings surprises... some good and some... not so much.

It is tolerance for a less than perfect bird and finding joy in improving birds that make a good breeder. If someone wants perfect stock they should probably stick to buying only adult birds or at least young birds that have survived many rounds of culling. That is an acceptable way to go but one who only benefits from the work of others is not a breeder.

I am often amazed that some folks believe that if they get a dozen eggs shipped to them 12 perfect chicks should pop out. When we did meat birds for the 4H we raised hundreds of birds and eventually culled down to a group of 10. When we raise replacement pullets in spring I hatch at least 100 to pick 5-10. The rest are raised for stewing.

It's always nice to keep expectations in line with reality so that disappointments are minimal.

Perhaps there are some breeders here who are able to pop perfect birds from every egg... If so... come forth, I want some chickens from you!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom