Faverolles Thread

No more little brown eggs yet. One of the Anconas was singing the "I laid an egg" song several times today and stayed in the nest box when I put her there. But no egg when she came out singing again. She went back in on her own 2 more times, came out singing her head off but no egg. But SOON! Clemence (Faverolle) was the only other girl that knew the words to the song and sang as well one time when Uwe was singing thus I suspect she laid the first egg.

We'll be checking the nest box regularly now
big_smile.png

Bruce

Hi guys! Thanks for asking about me. We are in one piece, although we still don't have power. Birds were visibly shaken by the storm - the first time I've noticed this after a weather event, although they seemed better today and yesterday. I am at another chicken friend's house for a couple of days, to get warm and enjoy some electricity and Internet. I never realized how much I loved my blow-dryer until I didn't have it! Supposed to have power back on Wednesday, but with this new storm coming, who knows?

We did use the fireplace, but it just didn't keep the house warm enough, so this morning I dropped my mom off to take a flight to Houston to stay at my brother's for a week. With her gone, I asked the neighbors to watch my birds, grabbed the dog, and headed towards the light in Hackettstown, NJ. Going to head home Wednesday to re-pack, and then get ready to go out to the Ohio National this coming weekend - this new storm better not get in my way! I need to get away from here.

The shore (I'm about five miles inland from Sandy Hook, but grew up going to the many towns and attractions) is devastated, and we know people who had near-death misses, and have completely lost their homes. One is actually missing! A house around the corner from me was split in two by a large tree, and there were roads blocked everywhere you turned. The shore will never be the same - it's so very sad, and I feel I don't have the right to complain about the mere inconvenience of being cold and having to wait on line for gas.

Glad to hear others in the storm's path came through relatively unscathed. It's a good lesson to be prepared for the next one, and to be thankful for what we have.

Mame1616, glad to hear that you survived that storm, & your flock did too. So sad to hear of the devastation to the NJ shore. It's heartbreaking to see it on the tv, I can only imagine what it's like in real life. I hope you do get power restored on Wed & the next storm isn't bad.

Hi guys! Thanks for asking about me. We are in one piece, although we still don't have power. Birds were visibly shaken by the storm - the first time I've noticed this after a weather event, although they seemed better today and yesterday. I am at another chicken friend's house for a couple of days, to get warm and enjoy some electricity and Internet. I never realized how much I loved my blow-dryer until I didn't have it! Supposed to have power back on Wednesday, but with this new storm coming, who knows?

We did use the fireplace, but it just didn't keep the house warm enough, so this morning I dropped my mom off to take a flight to Houston to stay at my brother's for a week. With her gone, I asked the neighbors to watch my birds, grabbed the dog, and headed towards the light in Hackettstown, NJ. Going to head home Wednesday to re-pack, and then get ready to go out to the Ohio National this coming weekend - this new storm better not get in my way! I need to get away from here.

The shore (I'm about five miles inland from Sandy Hook, but grew up going to the many towns and attractions) is devastated, and we know people who had near-death misses, and have completely lost their homes. One is actually missing! A house around the corner from me was split in two by a large tree, and there were roads blocked everywhere you turned. The shore will never be the same - it's so very sad, and I feel I don't have the right to complain about the mere inconvenience of being cold and having to wait on line for gas.

Glad to hear others in the storm's path came through relatively unscathed. It's a good lesson to be prepared for the next one, and to be thankful for what we have.
Glad Too that You are fine !, This is the kind of event that no one can truly prepare for....Even if You have generators and the supplies to hunker down for awhile, if the whole house and neighborhood is wiped out...almost wonder about having several friends around the area ane/or storage lockers to store at least some food and safety/warmth supplies....eliz

Glad to hear you and the birds made it through relitively unscathed. Hope the next storm passed you buy and doesn't prevent you from making it to Ohio.

Hi all, been away for a long while due to RL. I hope you've all been doing well!

The reason for my reappearance was that I wanted to ask the experts about the egg-laying habits of purebred LF Faverolles (blue salmons, not that I think it really affects anything :p).

My two lovely girls were churning out an egg a day like pros up until 8 months of age, then one completely stopped. The other soldiered on for a few weeks, but eventually she too went on strike. I'm baffled and wondering if this is something inherant to the breed.

They are both well fed and good weight, they've been wormed, have not been moved in the past 4 months, are not molting, show no sign of pecking, and are bright and alert. They just.... stopped laying. They don't free-range unless it's the weekend and I'm home to keep an eye out for hawks (we live within 2 miles of the World Center for Birds of Prey, established because our populations here are so high). So I know for a fact they aren't hiding them. Also, none of the other eggs are touched, so no egg-eating or predation.

I'm at a complete loss.

Hi all, been away for a long while due to RL. I hope you've all been doing well!

The reason for my reappearance was that I wanted to ask the experts about the egg-laying habits of purebred LF Faverolles (blue salmons, not that I think it really affects anything :p).

My two lovely girls were churning out an egg a day like pros up until 8 months of age, then one completely stopped. The other soldiered on for a few weeks, but eventually she too went on strike. I'm baffled and wondering if this is something inherant to the breed.

They are both well fed and good weight, they've been wormed, have not been moved in the past 4 months, are not molting, show no sign of pecking, and are bright and alert. They just.... stopped laying. They don't free-range unless it's the weekend and I'm home to keep an eye out for hawks (we live within 2 miles of the World Center for Birds of Prey, established because our populations here are so high). So I know for a fact they aren't hiding them. Also, none of the other eggs are touched, so no egg-eating or predation.

I'm at a complete loss
HI, do you have supplemental lighting to extend their daylight hours. There are a few breeds that will lay almost year round, Favs have for me in the past but even they take a break or slow down when the daylight is less than 14 hours....

Back
Top Bottom