Favorelles not thriving?

mama__bear

Hatching
Oct 25, 2022
Hi all, we hatched 13 chicks about 3 weeks ago. Our 2 salmon favorelles seem a little different than the rest. Still eating and drinking lots, pretty curious, but they don’t seem to have the same gusto as the others. They also just look less lively than the others…am I missing something, or is this just normal for this breed? This is our first time raising chicks and from what I understand this is a more docile breed; I just want to make sure I’m checking all my bases.

Attachments

• A6DB94FF-2E34-4788-B668-58A42DEE2AFA.jpeg
    A6DB94FF-2E34-4788-B668-58A42DEE2AFA.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 9
  • C042E692-69C2-4894-BB5C-E7708912D492.jpeg
    C042E692-69C2-4894-BB5C-E7708912D492.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 4
That doesn't sound right. All my chicks regardless of breed are very energetic. SFs are very docile-are they getting picked on? Usually chicks aren't big bullies but its worth watching them all interact to see if someone is keeping them away from the feeder.

That doesn't sound right. All my chicks regardless of breed are very energetic. SFs are very docile-are they getting picked on? Usually chicks aren't big bullies but its worth watching them all interact to see if someone is keeping them away from the feeder.
Thanks for your reply. I’ve watched and they are able to get to the feeder and waterers. The other chicks do peck at them a little bit though; it definitely seems like they’re bottom of the order.

Hopefully they are doing well now. Looks like a male in the pic with the red comb at a young age.

FWIW, SF are very chill chickens. We’ve tried 3x from different sources but have had to get rid of them bc they are so chill and allow them selves to be bullied by every other chicken inclined to pick on them. We have a mixed flock, and some breeds are more assertive and will pick on a lower ranking chicken, so it wasn’t working for us to have SF in our flock. We sold them, to live in smaller flocks.

Hopefully they are doing well now. Looks like a male in the pic with the red comb at a young age.

FWIW, SF are very chill chickens. We’ve tried 3x from different sources but have had to get rid of them bc they are so chill and allow them selves to be bullied by every other chicken inclined to pick on them. We have a mixed flock, and some breeds are more assertive and will pick on a lower ranking chicken, so it wasn’t working for us to have SF in our flock. We sold them, to live in smaller flocks.
Thanks for checking back in! I missed your response. Mine are doing great now. They are def boys and they’re quite feisty with one another and the other Roo (at least the one we’re aware of).

Once we brought them outside they seemed to perk up…not sure if it was the sun and grass or just a coincidence, but they’re big and happy now!

Attachments

• 583FC2FB-C26C-438C-AD6D-A8C5547EE456.jpeg
    583FC2FB-C26C-438C-AD6D-A8C5547EE456.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 3
  • C3C0293B-BDDB-4CC1-8384-DCBADF02F6F4.jpeg
    C3C0293B-BDDB-4CC1-8384-DCBADF02F6F4.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom