Favorite Bugs to Eat :D

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crait, Mar 5, 2009.

1. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    [​IMG]

My hen, Fran, loves these things! What's your chicken's favorite bugs to munch on?

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I gave my chickens a cicada while they were only a couple weeks old. It so funny seeing them carry it around like they were playing football! [​IMG] They would steal it from each other and then one would end up diving through a hole in the play pen and get out [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    huge spiders!!! We get cat face spiders here (google them they are scary) and my girls love their big fat juicy bodies! yuck!

4. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Those are scary!!!
    We have earwigs here. I don't know about you, but my first chicken, Kermit, loved them!
    I'd flip over a rock or two and about twenty would be running around and he'd pick up every one! [​IMG]

5. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Anything crunchy - like grasshoppers or cicadas........... or squishy SLUGS! Yum!

6. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    When we wash out the large waterers for the goats and cow, we lift them up to dump them out. My chickens wait and all charge the ground underneath because it is always loaded with grubs and beatles. YUCK... I hate bugs, but my chickens love them. Just another good reason to have them around [​IMG]

7. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

That I purchase : mealworms and crickets

That I find in the yard : grubs, potato bugs, pincer bugs, and crickets

8. Bullet

Bullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    My Chickens love June bugs, we must have had hundreds a day last summer my chickens and ducks ate them like they were going out of style day after day!!! I hate june bugs but I love my chickens!!! [​IMG]

9. HiDelight

HiDelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    my husband is "raising" mealworms in a container I am HOPEFUL the chickens will like them because they are not my favorite thing [​IMG]

they are kind of like watching a horror show in a container the way they writh around ..I dont want to look but can not help myself

10. Bullet

Bullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    Quote:Eew, I hate those thins, I used to work at a petstore and pick them up when people wanted to buy them... IT was pretty gross!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by