Favorite Color

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Tunastopper, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    If looks was the only factor, what is your favorite color for turkeys?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Bronze. They're pretty!

3. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Also the Bronze. I prefer, and select for, birds that have the whitest tail tips and rump feathers. Sweetgrass are a close second place.

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I love my Bourbons and the way the RP's are feathering I think they will be eye candy

5. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    I think my favorite would have to be Lilac. Tiger Bronze and a really good Motted Black would be second.

The pretty bird I have ever seen was a mix of Palm, Slate and Red. I don't know what they call it.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I'm growing out a pair of sweetgrass. Hope they are as pretty as the pictures! I also have a gorgous mix from longranger here on BYC. It looks like a mix of Golden Narraganset and maybe some Auburn... Might be my Thanksgiving turkey....

7. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    That poult is most likely golden Narri or Red Bronze based upon quite a few poults I have seen from that cross. All my Auburns were kept in their own penn this year so that would look like a typical Auburn if it were from my Auburn pen.

I can not pick a favorite variety. All healthy turkeys look beautiful to me. Why can't it be the top 5? LOL

8. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I like Narragansetts. Sweetgrass is nice too.

9. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I definitely go for the black-winged bronzes with red and other stuff mixed in. My favorite is Golden Phoenix, followed closely by Red Phoenix. Unfortunately, they are tough to find, and usually can't be imported into Minnesota even when found. My evil plan is to cross Royal Palm with Bourbon Red and Royal Palm with Standard Bronze this year. When I cross the offspring of those two crosses, I have to potential for a lot of different colors, and I will hopefully get some Phoenix or Harvest Gold.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by