Favorite Devild Eggs and Trays?

Yummy, Pioneer Lady! Those sound so good. Are you making them for Easter?

Yes I am Ms. Clare. Think I'll even do the fancy-dancy way! And thank you by the way! For me anything you can put mustard & mayo in you can put just about anything with it... I do my potato salad, macaroni salads & tuna salads this way too...

Blessings!

We made them in Sunday School yesterday. They turned out so cute and were delicious! Thanks for the great idea!

What is chow chow? Know your not talking about breed of dog.

My favorite way for angel eggs (hehe) are:

celery chopped really fine
grated onion with juice
hot chow chow (drained really well, I put in paper towel and squeeze all the juice out)
bacon bits (I chop turkey bacon then fry, cool and add)
mustard & mayo

If I want to make fancy, dancy ones I'll leave out the bacon bits and get a storage bag, cut the tip off and pipe into the hard boiled whites then sprinkle bacon bits on top with dill weed...

Also, if you don't have chow chow and would like a kick, finely chop a hot pepper like jalapeno (seeded unless you really want to kick up your heels and act foolish)...

I had to look it up...Had never heard of it.

DEEP SOUTH CHOW CHOW RELISH
Printed from COOKS.COM
1 large cabbage
1 gallon wine vinegar
1 pint kosher or canning salt
2 gallons cucumbers
1 lb. brown sugar
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. of turmeric
6 onions

Take one cabbage, a large one, and cut up fine. Put in a large jar or keg, and sprinkle over it thickly 1 pint coarse salt. Let it remain in salt 12 hours, then scald the cut up cabbage with 1 gal. of boiling vinegar.
2 gallon of cucumbers, green or pickled, and add to it cut in pieces the size of the end of little finger. Then chop very fine 2 gallons more of cucumbers or pickles and add to the above.

Seasonings:
1 lb. brown sugar
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. black pepper
2 gal. pure wine vinegar
2 tbsp. of turmeric
6 onions, chopped fine or grated

Then put it on to cook in a large porcelain kettle, with a slow fire, for 12 hours. Stir occasionally to keep it from burning. You can add more paprika than is given here if you like it hot.
Pour into clean, hot, pint size canning jars and seal according to manufacturer's directions. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Leave at least 3 weeks before using. If any jars have a failed seal when cooled, store those in the refrigerator to use right away.

This old recipe is a blue ribbon prize winner from an 1880's southern cookbook, adapted to modern canning standards.

Last edited:

So sorry, I haven't responded sooner. That's funny!

The above recipe sounds like a good one. I haven't made any yet but hope to this year. Lord willing... I generally pick up a quart at the local Farmer's Market and it last a good while.

I know you can get it sweet or hot. We like the hot better, it adds that special little kick without overpowering the dish.

I've also found that people either love it or hate it. But I would recommend if you haven't tried it you definitely should because you might like it - a lot!

Take care!

I made these for Easter, I died the whites after cutting in half, make sure you let them dry upside down so the dye doesnt pool in the middle.

The carrier is from Pampered Chef, the egg cup part is removable and you can freeze it like an icepack. It holds 12 eggs (24 halves)

Cute! Did people eat the ones with colored whites? I made colored whites one time, and people acted like they were afraid of them...

Back
Top Bottom