Favorite Heirloom Tomato varieties?

I recently tried some of our first Cherokee Purple tomatoes and they're amazing
I think I'll buy a packet of seeds. The plants from my friend's seeds have produced nothing I'd consider growing again. I've picked two. One was terribly cat-faced, the other on the small side. The other plants from those seeds have cherry sized tomatoes on them.

I'll keep an eye out for Sungold tomato seeds!
I just picked one from the vine and ate it a few minutes ago. I plant mine in pots on the deck as the vines grow, I tie them to the railing. I've been a slacker about watering this year. So, it is a slow crop. Last year I had a bumper crop but just didn't feel like eating them. This year I'm craving them. I'm such a weird gal.

Those sound like they're a good variety to grow. How big do they usually get?
Admittedly, this is a "bragging size" tomato.
IMG_E2693.JPG

It weighs 1 lb, 4.6 oz. It's the biggest Hungarian Heart I have on the table at the moment, but there are several that are only a little smaller. And a bunch that are probably 10-12 ounces.

I picked tomatoes today, and I have enough to do a canner load, ie, 7 quarts.

This can be a tricky one since there is not really a set time period for an heirloom tomato.
Some say that an heirloom is at least 25 years old, some say that an heirloom is at least 50 years old, and another group of people say an heirloom dates pre-World War II.
With that being said and for the sake of argument I'll list my favorite heirloom dating back at least 50 years, but most will date back to the 1800's.

Beefsteak (1800's)
Hoy (1800's)
JT Dorrance (1800's)
Brandywine (1800's)
Marvel Stripe (1800's)
Amish Paste (1800's)
Campbell 1327 (1900')
Rutgers (1900's)
Marglobe (1900's)

I always grow a few Black Krim. DH and I love that one. I'm also growing Amish Paste this year but some years add Anna Russian. Anna is a huge oxheart I really like to can. They peel easy. But give that plant lots of room. I've had it climb to 7 ft and grow back down to the ground. It gets huge. For cherry toms, I am growing Sungold. Sometimes I also grow Sweet 100. Both are tasty and the orange and red looks great in salads. Lots of color!

I'll be picking more tomatoes and canning them tomorrow. We are getting a nice soaking rain today. Thank you, Mother Nature!

I did one canner load (7 quarts) of tomatoes last Wednesday. I used Ball lids that I bought at the store over the winter, a box or two when they had them. Usually, they seal very shortly after I take them out of the water. These took a while. Two of them didn't seal at all, so we used one for that spaghetti sauce that night. As I was making the sauce, pop! the 6th one sealed, 2 HOURS after canning.

When I opened the one jar, I could see bits of tomato flesh under the rim of the lid, so I'm not surprised it didn't seal. Still, I have never had 2 jars of 7 not seal.

I'm going to use the Fillmore lids I got last year for the next batch, and see if there's a difference.

I'll be picking more tomatoes and canning them tomorrow. We are getting a nice soaking rain today. Thank you, Mother Nature!

I did one canner load (7 quarts) of tomatoes last Wednesday. I used Ball lids that I bought at the store over the winter, a box or two when they had them. Usually, they seal very shortly after I take them out of the water. These took a while. Two of them didn't seal at all, so we used one for that spaghetti sauce that night. As I was making the sauce, pop! the 6th one sealed, 2 HOURS after canning.

When I opened the one jar, I could see bits of tomato flesh under the rim of the lid, so I'm not surprised it didn't seal. Still, I have never had 2 jars of 7 not seal.

I'm going to use the Fillmore lids I got last year for the next batch, and see if there's a difference.
Do you warm your lids in barely simmering water?

Come to think of it, I had them sitting in warm tap water, and I usually do have them in simmering water. I'd just forgotten and left them on the counter. Maybe that was it.:thumbsup
A couple years ago I was purchased some Ball brand lids for that years canning. On the box it said no need to simmer the lids. I have always warmed them so I did anyway. lol Worked great. So I will continue. I've had lids still fail but not many over a lot of years. If they fail I just either refrigerate and use soon or put in a freezer bag and freeze. Still hate when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom