favorite hen is sick--help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deepbluesea, Aug 5, 2016.

1. deepbluesea

deepbluesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    coastal NC
    Elena, my favorite girl, is a blue copper marans. She's about 4 yrs old and yesterday I noticed she was acting off: tail tucked, lethargic, sitting all the time. Very unlike her. She also squirted out some bright yellow poop. I got her to drink some water and eat a few blueberries and worms, but she's pretty out of it.

This morning she didn't bustle out of the coop first the way she usually does; she stayed in on the top roosting bar. When I lifted her out, she rested her head on my arm. She's pretty tame in general, but this is different. I put her in the cool hedge where they all hang out during the day--nice cool dirt--with water, but I'm really worried. Any ideas??

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I am really surprised no one has responded yet.

Could she be egg bound?

I have had a couple go that way in behavior and then pass on quickly. Mine were egg bound.

I really hope this has not found you with the loss of your hen.

Giving this a bump in hopes someone will chime in with more experience.

3. deepbluesea

Jul 14, 2014
    coastal NC
    Thanks for responding! I'm kind of bummed that no one answered me, too. Don't know why.

She's not egg-bound--i went in and checked the way the site explained it and nothing's up there. Could have been though--her shells are sometimes weak, so thanks.

I'm not sure what else to do. I got some antibiotics in case it's bacterial, but she's still lethargic, head drooping and not eating, even tuna. I've gotten her to drink a little but not nearly enough. I put a frozen water bottle with her and isolated her from my other four, who are fine. I really really hope she makes it.

If any one else has ideas, suggestions, I'd be grateful.

4. aswartzalso

aswartzalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Could be coccidia

5. deepbluesea

Jul 14, 2014
    coastal NC
    Thanks--that one didn't show up when I looked at the poultry symptom checker. I'll look at that now. Appreciate it!

6. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    I wish I knew what to tell you, but I'm a newbie too. Sounds like some type of diarrhea if it's yellow poo. Could she have an infection? Is it possible she laid a shell-less egg and has gotten infected?
    Kristy

1 person likes this.
  7. deepbluesea

Jul 14, 2014
    coastal NC
    Thank you! It's hard being a newbie--I've had them for three years now, but they've been healthy thus far minus a case of bumblefoot, so I'm flailing.

here's a pic of her today and one when she was feeling like herself--she's my window peeper[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

. Her head is always drooping and she's not moving much at all. She didn't mind the epsom salt bath, though, and she did drink a bit more water.

8. Eggsitter

Eggsitter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    southern maine
    Feel her body for lumps. I just had one who had sour crop from tumors, she had the squirts too, hunched and out of it. But she would take hand-feeding a bit. Sour crop you can treat, tumors you can't but you can save her from suffering. My girl was my darling who I hatched from an egg. I hope your girl feels better soon.

9. deepbluesea

Jul 14, 2014
    coastal NC
    Thanks everyone for your help. She died overnight--I found her in the coop on Saturday morning. I'm really sad, she was my favorite.

10. Eggsitter

Eggsitter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    southern maine
    I know how you feel. So sorry. It's like a pure delight in your life is gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by