Favorite hen lost to bobcat.....

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
Oh my sweet Mary Grace. By the time I heard the girls squawking, the bobcat had grabbed one and ran over our fields. I ran out of my house, up the hill, over the fence and pursued for about an acre yelling the whole time. The bobcat let her go and took off over a hill. My beautiful Mary Grace died in my arms.

I realize one of the downsides to free-range is an opportunity for predators. I let them free range when I am home, but being home didn't matter this time. I am very sad, she was a sweet, sweet hen. A silver laced wyandotte. The others are traumatized of course but I got them all in early tonight and will restrict their movements for awhile.

Thanks for listening.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my sweet dachshund last Thanksgiving when he ran into a field barking at some cows and one stepped on him and broke his back. I could not get to him because of the other cows and I also had other dogs with me. I finally flagged down a policeman who went into the field and retrieved the dead body of my sweet baby. I cried like a little girl for hours. It was a terrible loss to me. He is buried in my pet cemetery behind my house.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my sweet dachshund last Thanksgiving when he ran into a field barking at some cows and one stepped on him and broke his back. I could not get to him because of the other cows and I also had other dogs with me. I finally flagged down a policeman who went into the field and retrieved the dead body of my sweet baby. I cried like a little girl for hours. It was a terrible loss to me. He is buried in my pet cemetery behind my house.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. I hate to be indelicate, but I would like to ask a question as we recently spotted a bobcat on our property and I too, free range my flock. What time of day did this happen? I guess I was under the impression that bobcats mainly hunted at dusk, but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

Again, I am truly sorry.

Heidi

I am so sorry for your loss.  I hate to be indelicate, but I would like to ask a question as we recently spotted a bobcat on our property and I too, free range my flock.  What time of day did this happen?  I guess I was under the impression that bobcats mainly hunted at dusk, but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

Again, I am truly sorry.

Heidi

I have seen bobcats at different times of day, not only at dusk. I had a litter of kittens cross the field under my deer stand one morning several years ago. I killed one a couple of hours before dark a couple of years after that. Two years ago, I killed one in the road about 400yards from my house at about 2:30 PM. It likely depends on the area you live in as to their habits.

Back
Top Bottom