Favorite hen lost to bobcat.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DDRanch, Nov 11, 2012.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Oh my sweet Mary Grace. By the time I heard the girls squawking, the bobcat had grabbed one and ran over our fields. I ran out of my house, up the hill, over the fence and pursued for about an acre yelling the whole time. The bobcat let her go and took off over a hill. My beautiful Mary Grace died in my arms.

I realize one of the downsides to free-range is an opportunity for predators. I let them free range when I am home, but being home didn't matter this time. I am very sad, she was a sweet, sweet hen. A silver laced wyandotte. The others are traumatized of course but I got them all in early tonight and will restrict their movements for awhile.

Thanks for listening.

2. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my sweet dachshund last Thanksgiving when he ran into a field barking at some cows and one stepped on him and broke his back. I could not get to him because of the other cows and I also had other dogs with me. I finally flagged down a policeman who went into the field and retrieved the dead body of my sweet baby. I cried like a little girl for hours. It was a terrible loss to me. He is buried in my pet cemetery behind my house.

3. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Time to hunt that bobcat! Good luck!

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

5. phieaglefan

phieaglefan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    I am so sorry for your loss. I hate to be indelicate, but I would like to ask a question as we recently spotted a bobcat on our property and I too, free range my flock. What time of day did this happen? I guess I was under the impression that bobcats mainly hunted at dusk, but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

Again, I am truly sorry.

Heidi

6. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

7. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009

I have seen bobcats at different times of day, not only at dusk. I had a litter of kittens cross the field under my deer stand one morning several years ago. I killed one a couple of hours before dark a couple of years after that. Two years ago, I killed one in the road about 400yards from my house at about 2:30 PM. It likely depends on the area you live in as to their habits.

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    they will hunt any time of the day or night. Bobcats also dont mind water. The ones here will wade right through a marsh or cross a canal.

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

10. DaphneNL

DaphneNL Chillin' With My Peeps

That's so sad! I'm so sorry for your loss. Hope your other girls are doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by