Favorite Melon varieties to grow?

Apr 30, 2022
I'm growing some different varieties of watermelon (sugar baby, bush sugar baby, blacktail mountain, orangeglo, crimson sweet, royal golden) and muskmelon (Hale's best jumbo cantaloupe, Sweet passion melon). So far the only melon of these I've tried is the blacktail mountain watermelon (as the other varieties are still growing/ripening). The blacktail mountain watermelon tasted amazing, and I look forward to trying some of the others.

So I was wondering, what are your favorite melon varieties to grow?

My all time favorite melon is one called Charantais, it is about the size of a softball, deeply ribbed, with a
th-3603255098.jpg
small seed cavity and filled with orange flesh that scooped like ice cream- soft and velvety. They'd incredibly fragrant, and the whole garden smells like them when they begin to ripen.

I'm in Zone 6.
That helps bc climate matters with melon growing.

I’m zone 6. I’ve grown a variety but cucumber beetles play havoc with some varieties by spreading wilt. The two honeydew types I planted this year have both wilted, unfortunately.

The Cherokee Moon and Stars watermelon, and Sugar Salmon Muskmelons look good. We’ve grown both before and enjoyed them. Two or three other varieties haven’t set fruit yet, so not sure about those.

@Acre4Me Thank you for the information!
I know that Zone 6 is one of the harder climates to grow melons.

The moon and stars melon was already on my list for next year, I'll look into the sugar salmon muskmelons as well!

Back
Top Bottom