Favorite treats for your chickens

In hot weather, any kind of melon will do. It helps keep them cool and laying
cool.png

their crumble feed with water in it! in a little bowl of course they love it (dont know why) i like putting in warm water for winter and cool water for summer.

Hi,
My girls just love a thing called "Happy Hen Treats" It comes in a jar that I get at the local ranch supply store. It contains peanuts, sunflower seeds, and stuff like that.
wink.png

I give mine scraps or the occasional piece of bread.

~Melon rinds
~Banana peels
~Eggshells, occasionally
~Fermented bread
~Bug-infested oatmeal
~Etc.

Sometimes when I go out there with food in my hand I feed 'em some. I have to check myself so I don't give them all of it.
big_smile.png

Mine lose their minds for grapes. I cut them in halves or quarters and throw them in. It's the only treat that Big Nasty the rooster will start eating right away with his girls, and the only one the girls will steal from eachother.

This is my first flock and I enjoy hand feeding them raisins before they go in the coop for the night. It's the one thing I have found that they all enjoy and will all come up personally to get. They make a good hand feeding treat and they are not to messy!
All the other items I give to them is pretty selective from bird to bird. So far some of the things I have tried are Swiss chard, cabbage, different lettuces, cucumbers, strawberries, apple, grapes, blueberries, peanuts, sunflower chips, yougurt, breads. My birds do not like strawberries, cucumbers or bread. They just leave it there for me to pick up so no more.
They do enjoy weeds from the yard best of all. Plantains, clover and dandelion greens. These are from an untreated lawn and I shred them as I pick so the pieces aren't to long and stringy. I try to pick the youngest shoots.
I wish they could free range but between the dog, kids running barefoot on the grass and all the predators it's impossible!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom