Favorite vegetable varities

Anyone grow garlic? It has a great taste and is really good for you. I'm growing some now called "California softneck" and it seems to be doing really well (though I won't know until I pull it out of the ground, of course).

I grew onions last year they did great, but had no variety name. I just got them from a garden store. Couldn't find any this year sadly.

Any recommended varieties of garlic, onions, or similar (shallots, etc.)?

Anyone grow garlic? It has a great taste and is really good for you. I'm growing some now called "California softneck" and it seems to be doing really well (though I won't know until I pull it out of the ground, of course).

I grew onions last year they did great, but had no variety name. I just got them from a garden store. Couldn't find any this year sadly.

Any recommended varieties of garlic, onions, or similar (shallots, etc.)?
I learned much by reading the catalogs!! Dozens of varieties , in both soft neck and hard necks. So many choices it is hard to decide. lol Ultimately Ipurchased from the local feed and seed store and the garlic was n ot labeled. I was very happy to get the garlic though as all the catalogs wont ship until fall!!! They are taking a looooong time to sprout, so I dug up one and it had sent out shoots, so it is just very slowwwwwww. BUt I'm happy to have garlic as we eat a LOT of garlic.

I've had trouble with lettuce bolting in the spring and summer. I think I will try it in pots this winter indoors in a sunny spot.

Lettuce is super easy to save seed from: just let it go to seed, then leave the seed heads there, move them to where you want next years crop, or pull them and let them dry. i put my dried plants in an old pillow case, and just hung the case for the winter. Before planting, I just threshed out the seeds, and scattered them over my bed.

Back
Top Bottom