1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Favorite vegetable varities

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by copper2, Jun 12, 2015.

1. copper2

copper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Searching for Bigfoot
    Nine years! Theres your problem! :)

2. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Searching for Bigfoot
    How in the world did they germinate!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I don't consider it a problem when 9 year old seed germinates!

4. HeritageGoose13

HeritageGoose13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Anyone grow garlic? It has a great taste and is really good for you. I'm growing some now called "California softneck" and it seems to be doing really well (though I won't know until I pull it out of the ground, of course).

I grew onions last year they did great, but had no variety name. I just got them from a garden store. Couldn't find any this year sadly.

Any recommended varieties of garlic, onions, or similar (shallots, etc.)?

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I learned much by reading the catalogs!! Dozens of varieties , in both soft neck and hard necks. So many choices it is hard to decide. lol Ultimately Ipurchased from the local feed and seed store and the garlic was n ot labeled. I was very happy to get the garlic though as all the catalogs wont ship until fall!!! They are taking a looooong time to sprout, so I dug up one and it had sent out shoots, so it is just very slowwwwwww. BUt I'm happy to have garlic as we eat a LOT of garlic.

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    One often overlooked cultivar is good old fashioned Buttercrunch lettuce. The newer varieties are fun to try, but... the reliability, texture and flavor of Buttercrunch can't be beat!

7. HeritageGoose13

HeritageGoose13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    I've had trouble with lettuce bolting in the spring and summer. I think I will try it in pots this winter indoors in a sunny spot.

8. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Searching for Bigfoot
    I got a lettuce variety this year and there was a mutant, in it I was going to save the seeds but forgot to bag it

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Lettuce is super easy to save seed from: just let it go to seed, then leave the seed heads there, move them to where you want next years crop, or pull them and let them dry. i put my dried plants in an old pillow case, and just hung the case for the winter. Before planting, I just threshed out the seeds, and scattered them over my bed.

10. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Searching for Bigfoot
    Thanks, just hope it didn't cross

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by