Favorite ways to preserve eggs?

@Percheron chick Woah! That's terrible!! I wonder if it had to do with them being goose eggs? Because I've heard of a lot of people freezing chicken eggs and they didn't seem to experience the problems you did with freezing the goose eggs?

I've encountered odd-textured yolks in eggs that froze. I also read about it years ago, in a book on raising chickens. I find some internet articles that talk about it, too.

Here are a few example articles:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/packages/food-network-essentials/how-freeze-eggs
https://www.peteandgerrys.com/blog/how-to-freeze-eggs
https://www.thekitchn.com/can-you-freeze-leftover-egg-whites-amp-yolks-243385

They all say pretty much the same thing:
--whites freeze just fine
--yolks go weird, unless you scramble them with the whites or add something to them. The "something" is often salt, but I've also seen mentions of sugar, honey, or corn syrup.

All eggs behave the same way. It's something about protein structure and ice crystals.
Interesting. I've never actually frozen eggs before so can't speak on this from personal experience. What I do know is once I pulled out a (store bought) egg from the back of the fridge, and when I cracked it the egg was partially frozen, I proceeded to cook the egg and sure enough it was a disaster! So I can definitely see that happening when you intentionally freeze an egg.

Question, Do you freeze the egg whole or beat it? I noticed @TheresaV said she beats the eggs before freezing them, maybe that helps?

@NatJ Intersting.
Yeah I had a similar experience when I tried to cook a store bought egg that was in the back of the fridge (and thus partially frozen).

Do you freeze eggs whole or beaten? @TheresaV says she beats the eggs before freezing them, maybe that helps?

@NatJ Intersting.
Yeah I had a similar experience when I tried to cook a store bought egg that was in the back of the fridge (and thus partially frozen).

Do you freeze eggs whole or beaten? @TheresaV says she beats the eggs before freezing them, maybe that helps?
I have never frozen eggs on purpose, so far.

I have cooked & eaten eggs that got frozen in the back of the fridge, or in the nestbox in cold weather.
When a whole egg freezes all the way, the shell cracks, and when the egg thaws it starts to leak. Eggs like that I do not eat; I throw them away.

I would not try to freeze a whole egg in the shell, because I know the shell would crack.
To freeze eggs, I would take them out of the shell, and I would mix the yolks either with the egg whites or with something else to make them not get that weird texture.

As far as actual experience goes, the only eggs I have deliberately frozen were baked into waffles or cookies or pancakes, or mixed into cookie dough but not yet cooked. The eggs behaved fine in all of those cases.

When we say "scramble" we mean mix them up. Beat em, whip em. They are still raw. Perfect to eat scrambled or used for baking.
Ever wonder what happens to all the misshaped, pointy, super sized,odd colored, double yolk or tiny pullet eggs from factory farms? They are cracked, mixed up, strained, frozen then sent to bakeries and restaurants to make the job easier.

I have never frozen eggs on purpose, so far.

I have cooked & eaten eggs that got frozen in the back of the fridge, or in the nestbox in cold weather.
When a whole egg freezes all the way, the shell cracks, and when the egg thaws it starts to leak. Eggs like that I do not eat; I throw them away.

I would not try to freeze a whole egg in the shell, because I know the shell would crack.
To freeze eggs, I would take them out of the shell, and I would mix the yolks either with the egg whites or with something else to make them not get that weird texture.

As far as actual experience goes, the only eggs I have deliberately frozen were baked into waffles or cookies or pancakes, or mixed into cookie dough but not yet cooked. The eggs behaved fine in all of those cases.
Makes sense. And yeah, definitely wouldn't intentionally freeze them in their shells!!

Thank you for all of your help and info!

When we say "scramble" we mean mix them up. Beat em, whip em. They are still raw. Perfect to eat scrambled or used for baking.
Ever wonder what happens to all the misshaped, pointy, super sized,odd colored, double yolk or tiny pullet eggs from factory farms? They are cracked, mixed up, strained, frozen then sent to bakeries and restaurants to make the job easier.
Oh, that makes sense.
And I didn't know that!

Thank you for all of your help and info!

I’m waterglassing in a BPA-free, food-grade, five-gallon bucket and lid with a ratio of 1oz by weight of calcium hydroxide aka pickling lime or hydrated lime to 1qt of filtered water. Hope it works! I’ll try to report back with results as we use them.

I’m waterglassing in a BPA-free, food-grade, five-gallon bucket and lid with a ratio of 1oz by weight of calcium hydroxide aka pickling lime or hydrated lime to 1qt of filtered water. Hope it works! I’ll try to report back with results as we use them.
Awesome! Good luck! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom