Favus - my Serama Hen has it.

The eyes that I can see so far, have a sunken appearance, which can be common in mycoplasma gallisepticum, or MG, a respiratory disease. If you should ever lose her, I would get a necropsy performed by your state poultry vet, just to find out what might have caused her problems. She might have something wrong with her immunity which can be found in Mareks disease. Here is a list of most state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Oops, just saw that you are in Ontario, so we will need to find contact info there.

She doesnt really seem that bothered by it. She still is preening, and not overly. She eats, poops good, and likes to cuddle up on my neck. I just want to get her better so she can get back to the Serama coop with her friends. I am really hoping the athletes foot cream will work. I am also doing antibiotic ear drops now, as she sometimes seemed a little off balance too. Other than the terrible skin she seems okay.

So read on line to work at removing the dead skin, in this case to do that I would have to cut her feathers off. What are anyones thoughts on that and if so where do you cut them, above the quill will they grow back?

She doesnt really seem that bothered by it. She still is preening, and not overly. She eats, poops good, and likes to cuddle up on my neck. I just want to get her better so she can get back to the Serama coop with her friends. I am really hoping the athletes foot cream will work. I am also doing antibiotic ear drops now, as she sometimes seemed a little off balance too. Other than the terrible skin she seems okay.
that’s good! Hopefully she gets better soon!

Are you positive she doesn't have lice or mites?

I am positive, I have had her living in the house with me since July, and treated her for everything under the sun, mites, worms, lice, you name it.
She is clean as can be for that kind of stuff. Oh I should mention she did have scaly leg mites before all of this. I feel that may have been cause behind this skin infection. I used a scaly leg mite spray once, and then just vaseline. I wonder if she just has some kind of strange reaction to that whole thing with the leg mites. The legs cleared up fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I am positive, I have had her living in the house with me since July, and treated her for everything under the son, mites, worms, lice, you name it.
She is clean as can be for that kind of stuff. Oh I should mention she did have scaly leg mites before all of this. I feel that may have been cause behind this skin infection. I used a scaly leg mite spray once, and then just vaseline. I wonder if she just has some kind of strange reaction to that whole thing with the leg mites. The legs cleared up fairly quickly.
I'm thinking the scaly legs mites have spread all over her body/face.

Back
Top Bottom