FCR for pigs?

Richard

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Antioch IL
I am thinking about raising a couple of pigs in the spring for food. I am trying to figure out the cost does anyone know how much in feed it would take would be to raise newly weaned pigs to slaughter size (200 to 250 ) pounds would be? thank you so much for your help

Just did my first piggies this year... had 2....

Pigs weighed 350 and 285...so 635 lbs of pigs from 9 lbs(each) on 4/13 to 9/30.

Food was $280 total. Butchering on big one was $204, butchering small one was $153. Bigger one had 10 lbs of brats made(yummy). Both had one ham cured and of course the bacon.

the big one(mine) had a rail wieght of 249. So if i got 200 lbs of meat(well...200 lbs of what I would buy, so for ribs that would include some bone) I paid $1.72 per lb...if 175lbs I paid $1.92.

Considering this includes ham, bacon, ribs, brats and roasts which are higher priced I certainly didn't lose money.

Maybe cents per lb would have been less but I waited to long to schedule the butcher. Call 3 months out and see how the butcher schedule is.

Food included 1 bag($40) of baby pig food, 1 bag of intermediate food($20) and the rest was $10 bags of 14% protein pig food the local coop made. So 22 bags(50 lbs each) of food. Towards the end I gave them about 12, 5 gallon buckets of apples and lots of fresh alfalfa(I do hay) to try and reduce costs. So I gave them 600 lbs of food each, of course the big one probably ate more than the small one). Through the summer I supplemented with clvoer/alfalfa but very little if any table scraps....

The big one was a white male, the smaller one was a red(duroc?) female.

The pork is very good, I have a freezer full and the pigs had great personalities. I most likely will be doing more next year...

Last edited:
We're raising our first three now. I don't have a total of the whole cost yet. They were $50 each initially. The feed we buy is about $9.75/bag. They go thru almost 2 bags a week. The processor is going to cost around $200, ballpark.

The best thing for us is knowing where the meat came from. I think the cost is definately worth it. In fact, we are getting some Tamworth pigs next week to raise to breed. And in about a month, we are getting some Berkshires for the same purpose. I figure we can sell some of the piglets to help offset the cost.

My biggest suggestion is to shop around for food, if you can. Here, we found that we can save $4/bag just by driving a little further. Makes a difference when you buy in bulk!!

Second suggestion, don't skimp on the fencing. And get an electric fence for sure. You don't want to be chasing piggies everywhere!!

Good luck!

thank you so much for the information that helps .If my math is right you did really good your FCR would be 1.94/1.Altho I priced out the feed around my area and its higher than yours it would still be a do able project and I am sure its alot better tasting than what you get in the store

We've had more fun with the pigs. I am so glad we did this. I'm not looking so forward to the "B" day, but it's all part of it. As long as I don't have to watch how they end up on my table, I think I'll be okay...LOL.

Anyway, there is a lot of information available about how to feed for the optimal taste, especially in the last few weeks. Acorns, apples, molasses...all help flavor the meat.

You will have to keep us posted as to whether or not you decide to buy the pigs!!

We have two almost ready to go and DH just got two more durocs. Our butcher says he'll charge .79lb to butcher them But he will charge 35.00 to do the deed. DH thinks that it will be better this first time if they do the whole thing. It has been an experience with the older two. Problem is the bigger of the two has the best personality. When you go into the pen she rolls over and wants her belly scratched. Her sister now is the mean one She'll bite you if your not careful. her I can do without. The two babies were 8 weeks when he brought them home they are Sausage and Porky (grandson named them) now they are getting like little puppies. When I go outside they run along side their pen with me. Sausage loves to get scratched. We'll see with them If granddaughter has her way they will be around for along time.lol

Quote:
Two of ours love to have their bellies scratched, too. My kids laugh at me for spending so much time rubbing their bellies! I think they are just jealous. Ha!
One has started trying to bite my feet, though. Concerns me a little. I don't want to be pig food. Ha.

Ours are FatBack, Honey Ham, and BBQ. But, after the first week, I quit calling them by their names. Getting too attached...

Good luck with the "B" day. Let us know how it goes...

Quote:
Conversion ratio was good, again I gave them fresh alfalfa or fresh clover through the summer they loved it, this probably added up to quite a few pounds... They always ate it right up...

Back
Top Bottom