Fear is hitting me hard.

I'm only 22yrs old w/a ton of pets and my fiance, we bought a fixer upper and are slowly getting the house back to pretty. It's an old house built by our neighbor in 1930.
smile.png

You can have the water tested, someone should know the weight limit on the bridge.

Last edited:
LOL... code.
lau.gif

Our home, in the city. Was built in the 1920's NOTHING has been updated, well besides the windows,
roll.png
the boiler(it is heated via radiator and natural gas) and now half. And I mean HALF the roof. Another topic for another day.

I am 41. My dh 36.5 and our daughter is 8. We have been gutting the bathroom for about 5 months now. Old horse hair/plaster and lathe. Fun!
Only thing I wont do is electric and roof. Seems as though my roofer doesnt do roofs either though. Grrrr.

Home owner ship is a blessing and a curse. Especially on those days when something breaks, needs to be shoveled, ripped out, repaired , up dated etc. Or when your roofer never returns. Or when you desperately wish to move and the market is down so you really cant. Oh and your roof isnt finished and there's a pile of roofing material in your already tiny back yard that looks like crap. Again.. grrrrr. Yes, there is now a court filing over the roof mess.

It all depends on what you are comfortable with. And that you have reasonable expectations. Which it sounds like you do.

That neighbor would be a deal breaker for me. Anything else can be managed. If I were you, I would be looking for a different piece of property. Contact the local real estate agents in your area and tell them exactly what you are looking for. Find out which agents specialize in foreclosed properties. We just missed out on a cute four bedroom house on 6 acres for $24,000. That was in Missouri but there are bargains to be had all over. Do some internet searches. Having to cope with that neighbor isn't worth it even if the house was in pristine condition and the property was free.

Quote:
I would find out who put the bridge up, who is responsible for maintenance, and what the exact weight limit is. Definatly get the water tested. If it is contaminted I would want to know from what.

Quote:
This...get the water tested before anything else. Everything else can be fixed with time and effort. A professional inspection of the bridge would also be something I would demand as well, not from some home inspection guy but a real engineer. I think that if the WWW uses the bridge she should be responsible for a portion of the upkeep. Have the house inspected by a 3rd party as well, not the "guy" the realtor provides.

Good luck with you decision!
smile.png

Where ever you move, if you want animals, find out from the County zoning Dept what the exact zoning is for that lot. Do not listen to the realtor etc.... We did, as it was our first home, and now 15 years later a mean neighbor complained , and we found out it was zoned for way less animals, so we are now moving. Double check everything.

We found a house that was questionable, and decided to pay $750 out of our own pocket to have it inspected first. The inspection included the house, outbuildings, septic, well and propane lines & tank. I paid an extermination company $250 to inspect for BUGS and other pests

I would suggest you do the same. It was the best investment we made. We decided to buy the house after getting the report, which did have some pricey repairs noted. But they were things we didn't have to do immediately.

Good luck.

Thanks again everybody for the support and encouragement. Plan A is officially scrapped. Turns out there was more than one Poozer in Pommelmouse Pass.

Turns out WWW is the daughter of the original landowner. Originally there were like 200 acres. Back in the 60's, dear old Dad sold half the property to another family and deeded the 2.5 acres to a loyal employee. The easement was probably written on a cocktail napkin somewhere but the Dad wanted to help out the employee and gave him the sweet 2.5 acres at the top of the hill. So that explains WWW's snarky attitude, huh? When the Dad died, WWW and her sister split the remaining 100 acres, WWW got the primo slice up near the road, and sissy has the unaccessable woods back by the creek.

Meanwhile, the loyal employee and his wife lived out their lives on the 2.5 acres. Apparently, in it's heyday it was a stellar example of white-trash gone wild. There were junk cars and all sorts of CRAP all over the property. When they died, their daughter supposedly inherited this property, but she has no survey and actually wrote on the disclosure statement that the "retaining wall is a hazard to unattended children and drunk adults." Oh M darn G!!! I am thinking that no will has been probated, and she may not even have the legal right to sell the property, but it is no longer my concern.

So, on to Plan B.

Last edited:
I would go for it if it was not for the landlocked issue. No way would I get involved in a home with neighbor issues. I would recommend a property with a current survey(not mortgage survey),and no easements or edncroachments with neighbors. You want a property free of these issues.Easements with utilities is the norm,but you want to avoid them with neighbors.

And the issues with land owned by family being sold off in peices is often an issue.We looked at a great 5 acre home in AL that was being sold after a divorce,but surrounding it were family members homes. They would have resented the sale of the home to strangers.

Back
Top Bottom