Fearless Hawk

I hear stories like this and wonder if this was a rehabbed hawk who lost its fear of humans. Sometimes young hawks do forget to check for other predators while hunting, and sometimes very desperate hawks snatch food while a human is nearby.

Crazy story! I am nervous about hawk/eagle/falcon issues, but haven't had any yet; as they frequent the corn field. But, I'm thinking once "winter" hits, I'm gonna have to be much more careful. I've heard they are less likely to attack the chickens in the spring/summer when there are more mice, frogs, and etc. out.

That's what I thought... I don't let the birds out unless I'm with them thinking that my presence will be a deterrent to predators. I couldn't believe it, and it happened in an ablsolute blurr of a flash. Amazingly the bantam appears unharmed. Hes eating,drinking and acting totally normal. I think he was in shock from the hit when I picked him up. I really thought he was going to die in my hands but amazingly no. It's so irritating. I don't feel like I can visit with my birds out in the open any more.
I had read somewhere that chickens, hens in particular, have two lines of defense. The first is running, the second is playing dead which really isn't much help if whatever got them is bend on having them for dinner. I can see that by going totally limp they might get a momentary opportunity for escape but they would have to be darned quick about it and from the stories I've heard about near misses they're very slow to recover, making playing dead pretty useless.

Just out of curiosity do you know what kind of hawk it was? Supposedly Redtails take the majority of the adult chickens but the Coopers & Sharp shinned hawks take equal blame. Had a lot of hawks, mostly Redtails & Coopers around here in the spring but the crows drove them out before they got too settled in. I actually liked seeing the hawks around until I got the chickens.

Personally, and this is just me speaking, I would take an attack that close to me as a threat toward me. Aka, no more hawk.

The falcon got mine in early February, so I would subscribe to the theory about winter hunger being a main factor.

I also used to think of them completely differently when I didn't have chickens. Now I see PREDATOR when they come circling. (Or quietly perching in the case of the falcons). I have heard that peacocks chase hawks away.

Last edited:
I've seen Coopers Hawk snatch a sparrow right out of my garage. Just swooped in there and snatched the hapless bird with incredible stealth. I've seen them smash in a Leyland Cypress tree in an attempt to get a meal. And this spring I had two nesting pairs of Redtails on my 37 acres of land. Not to mention the owls, foxes, coons an opossums stopping by at night. The only freeloader I find bothersome are the coons and opossums. They trash the place. Getting in the feed barrel and urinating in any bucket they could find. I had to purchase varmit proof garbage cans to keep them out. While I'll 'take care' of the four legged varmits, I tolerate the winged predators. I do my job to keep them out of my coop and away from my flock. I can't shoot them because they are protected, and I'm not that good with a rifle.

The thing about keeping chickens is to remember every thing preys on them. They are low on the food chain. Everything wants to eat them. Including human beings. And I can't shoot them, either. And the truth be told I'd be more apt to punish a human chasing a chicken than a predator who is simply trying to survive.

Like Grandpa Toy said: Put food on the table and leave the door open, there ain't no telling who will show up.

Not sure what kind of hawk but definately not red tail. It's very fast and can dart through tree tops limbs and brush very quickly. It seems to have a very tall stance/ long legs. It's kinda grey in color but its so fast I can hardly get a look.
There is a celestial relocation program that varmints that won't leave my stuff alone sometimes get enrolled in. Too much more trouble and I might be offering a scholarship.

Back
Top Bottom