Feather changes

Croesti

Hatching
Nov 17, 2018
Hi. My family is fairly new to chickens. We have 6 hens that are 9 months old. They lay daily, are eating and drinking, and acting normal except over the last month one of their feathers is becoming frizzy. It keeps getting worse. She is acting normal otherwise. She is too young to be molting right? Any ideas appreciated! Please see attached photos of before & after.

Attachments

• IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    653.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    602.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9627.JPG
    IMG_9627.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi. My family is fairly new to chickens. We have 6 hens that are 9 months old. They lay daily, are eating and drinking, and acting normal except over the last month one of their feathers is becoming frizzy. It keeps getting worse. She is acting normal otherwise. She is too young to be molting right? Any ideas appreciated! Please see attached photos of before & after.
I agree, it looks like the feathers are being nipped/plucked.
It's always a good idea to check for lice/mites as well - here's an article with good photos of what to look for https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

You may need to evaluate space, roosting, housing, etc. if it's feather picking. We can help you with that as well.

I have two birds the same age as yours (9 months) and they are molting. I was surprised when it started cos their adult plummage hadn't long been in and their feathers were in fab condition, but it's definitely happening (they are my only birds with black feathers). That is not to say it's what's happening in your case, just that it is possible to molt this young. Mine are not laying.

That definitely isn't moulting, the feathers are damaged, not falling out. It is also not typical feather picking damage in my opinion. I suspect it may be depluming mites which are microscopic and live in the feather shafts. Can you get a close up of the feathers so that we can see the nature of the damage better. Also, watching her for over preening or of course pecking by the other hens. If you spend some time just observing the flock you should get a better idea of how/why it is happening. I believe the treatment for depluming mites would be ivermectin but I've not had to deal with them myself, so may be worth doing some research if you don't see any behaviour which suggests the other hens are responsible.

I had a little woman with similar issue. I can't see the feathers close enough on your images but on mine her feathers looked frayed. I treated with ivermectin and it worked.
(should add-my treatment was to tackle depluming mites).

Back
Top Bottom