Feather Comparison

Isaac 0

Enabler
7 Years
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
I have a few older ducks who are suffering from wet feather, so I clipped a few of their feathers off to show the microscopic difference between a healthy feather, and a feather from a bird suffering from wet feather and found it to be quite interesting so thought I would share.

Feather1.jpg

The picture above shows the different parts of the feather anatomy. The hooklets on the distal end of the barbules act like velcro and attach to the opposite hooklets on the lateral barb. With a healthy bird, all hooklets will connect to form an amazing/ almost illusional-like grid (picture below)

4-11-2021 9-06-56 PM.jpg

4-11-2021 9-04-36 PM.jpg

The barbules connect via the hooklets and form an interweaving criss/cross pattern that helps waterfowl maintain water repellency. When there is a combination of excess dirt, lack of bodily oils, the hooklets will no longer attach and become disorganized. The picture below demonstrates how a feather from a bird suffering from wet feather would appear.

4-11-2021 9-08-18 PM.jpg

It is interesting to note even though there is interlocking going on, the hooklets are not attaching to the opposing hooklets with efficiency, and have become disorganized. The disorganization allows easier penetration of moisture into the feathers creating a poor look as shown below.

1618195332294.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/problem-with-ducks-feathers.870998/

Back
Top Bottom