1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feather cyst

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pokey, Feb 28, 2009.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    once a bird gets a feather cyst are they prone to them?

2. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    not sure about chickens but canaries are prone to them if you breed a soft feathered bird to a soft feathered bird, could just be a fluke thing, did get the feather out?

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes. They're like ingrown hairs in humans. If the cyst resolves itself spontaneously and the follicle is not damaged, it may be a one-time deal. But if you can't excise the follicle cleanly, the site may become a chronic location for repeated irritation and possibly, infection.

Plain neosporin might protect the follicle, and after that you';ll have to wait and see.[​IMG]

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    well, she had one around her neck, she molted and it went away. now it liiks like she has another close to but not in the same spot. it's pushing her feathers up so it looks like her feathers are sticking outwards. i can't tell if it hurts her or she just does not want you messing up the feathers to look at it. how can this type of thing be taken care of?

5. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    could some one PM me with info on this? what is a feather cycst...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by