Feather development

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I'm completely shocked at how quickly my new chicks are feathering out using a heater instead of a lamp. They are all flying already at 2 weeks and all but 3 of the wyandottes have fully feathered wings. That has me wondering, how well feathered would you wait for them to be before moving them outside to their grow out coop with nights that dip down into the 50s?

I would give them until 4 or 5 weeks. By then they would have most of their feathers, and it sounds like you have several chicks, so they could snuggle if they’re still a little cool.

I have 23. Alright, hopefully I can keep them in their brooder for that long lol. I keep catching them roosting on the edge of their 3' tall brooder. I'm really awestruck at how quickly they are developing my last batch took 5 weeks to be at where these ones are at 2 weeks. If they keep it up I might have enough time to get one more batch of chicks before winter.

maybe i’m ridiculous but I go by the amount of dust they produce. once the dust becomes ridiculous, they’re feathered enough to finish brooding in my “coop crib” some times that’s 4 weeks some times it’s 6. I replenished my egg layers this year, (hybrids eggers) and they were feathered out & flying at 3 weeks. but my breeder birds (all heritage breeds) always seem to take much longer to mature and usually won’t move outside until 6 weeks

maybe i’m ridiculous but I go by the amount of dust they produce. once the dust becomes ridiculous, they’re feathered enough to finish brooding in my “coop crib” some times that’s 4 weeks some times it’s 6. I replenished my egg layers this year, (hybrids eggers) and they were feathered out & flying at 3 weeks. but my breeder birds (all heritage breeds) always seem to take much longer to mature and usually won’t move outside until 6 weeks
I have them in my workshop after learning the hard way in the house about how much dust they can kick up (had them in my wife's office and it took me 2 months to finish cleaning that disaster... Getting chicken dust out of computers and such is a nightmare. Don't worry she still loves me lol) but this time they are in my very large work shop so I don't think I'd notice their dust. They are now at the point where it is hard to keep their waterer free of straw. That's what really had me thinking they are getting to be ready to go outside. My last batch of chicks didn't become pests with getting straw into their chest high waterer until they were 5 weeks old, and they went outside at 6 weeks.

Since you have so many you may be able to get away with taking them out a little earlier if the brooder gets too small.
I keep mine in a brooder with a wire lid inside the coop. They’re less of a mess that way and it makes integration easier. I’ll never go back to brooding indoors, it’s so much easier.

Down to 50s? They can go out at 3 weeks provided you have a draft free coop or place they can go.

My last chicks were off heat and in the coop at 3 weeks, 48 degrees at night.

Back
Top Bottom