Feather Eating - Problem or no problem?

I'll have to measure but mostly they are free ranged

I would recommend adding a "boredom buster" just in case they are just plain bored.

Cabbage and other vegetables are popular to put on a string, they peck at this instead of each other.

I would also recommend switching to a feed with closer to 20% protein, I actually buy 20% flock feed and mix farmers helper "ultrakibble" at their recommended ratio of 1-10 with their feed and then ferment it.

It has all kinds of high protein ingredients that won't dilute your food like typical scratch/treats would, I know some people add fish meal or catfish pellets as a protein supplement.

Hello
My chickens eat feathers. Not by plucking them off, but if there's a feather laying on the ground that's not too dirty they'll eat it. Why? They've been doing this since the age of 10 weeks and I've only seen it it a few times. I noticed it again today which lead me to asking about it. They're now 18 weeks old and have no eggs yet. They have access to food inside the coop at all times during the day and water is outside and inside. ??? Thanks. 

I know,my baby chicks do the same thing.
1f413.png
1f414.png

Back
Top Bottom