feather growth

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by urbanchickymama, Apr 18, 2012.

1. urbanchickymama

urbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    I have 6 fluffy little Golden Comets which are about 10-14 days old. Most of them have developed a good number of grown up feathers on their wings, I am just wondering when&where their big-girl feathers should start showing up next? I searched but was unable to find week-by-week pics but if I missed something please feel free to redirect me!

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    They will grow in time.
    This was one of mine from about 6 weeks old.

[​IMG]

This one from over three months, almost all chick feathers gone:

[​IMG]

They have enough feathers to keep warm outdoors from about 5 weeks onwards.

3. urbanchickymama

Apr 14, 2012
    I just mean, purely from a nerdy interest- where should I watch for their feathers to start developing next?
    As in, at 4 weeks feathers should start growing on shoulders, 7 weeks, chest feathers emerging, etc.
    I'm not in a hurry for them to grow up, just want to be watching for their next big-girl feathers because it's
    interesting to me to see how they mature.

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Second week they get their tail feathers, then the next week feathers between their wings on their back appear. About 4 weeks their breast start growing feathers in a row down each side then fill in. Then the feathers will start working up the neck and finnally their head. The ears do start earlier than their head, looks like little earmuffs.

thunderclast likes this.
  5. curiositykt

curiositykt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Marlborough MA
    I really want a day by day, week by week chart with pictures showing how the feathers come in and what to expect approximately in their behavior. Like "by the end of week one they will be trying out their new wings and stretching a lot. By day 10 they will start trying to fly"

2 people like this.
  6. urbanchickymama

Apr 14, 2012
    Wouldn't that be great? I thought for sure i'd be able to find something like that but no luck!

And thanks RonC, i'll be watching their fluffy butts with bated breath! ;)

7. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    I have three six week old gold sex links. They are my first chickens since I was a kid, and I picked them up just last week. The owner picked them from a cage full, and I didnt see them until I got home. They all have mostly bare backs, and I wasnt sure if they had been pecked due to boredom/crowding, or if they just werent developing feathers on their backs yet. I did not really find an answer anywhere until now! It seems they were feather pecked, and now they wont get those feathers again for a long time... Are there skin issues I need to watch for since they will be bare backed for quite some time? Thanks for the info, btw!

8. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Hi Delta2 23,

Love your pictures...my girls resemble yours. Are yours golden sex links? I'm a newbie, and can not yet easily identify types except some really obvious ones!

9. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    At about 10-14 days they will start trying out their wings so better have top on the brooder. That's when they start acting like chickens, sorting pecking order,foraging,dust bathing, and sunning when they can. All disturbing to new chicken parents but normal behavior.

10. handmommy

handmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    Ours are about 11 days old and have been trying to 'fly' for a few days. It's great! But I don't have a top on the brooder yet - better get on that! I'm afraid I'm gonna open the door to the room they're in and there will be chickens flying all over the place! What should I use as a top? They are in a big rubbermaid bin....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by