feather growth

Chicken wire or hardware cloth either on a simple wood frame would work. No need to get elaborate with it. Unless there is some other way of getting ventilation in the tub I wouldn't use plastic or glass.

Last edited:
I love reading these posts and seeing that all newbies are going through the same thing! Mine are 2 1/2 weeks old and their wings look huge compared to their body size! I have 3 GSL's and 2 bantams. And they can fly alright! I too expect to come home from work one day and find them on the floor because they flew out! They are in a big box right now and the sides are easily 18" but they can fly up about a foot. Won't be long!! Their feathers are starting to come in between their wings. If you want day by day changes, you should take pictures every day - I am fascinated that each morning they have more feathers!!

Hi Delta2 23,

Love your pictures...my girls resemble yours. Are yours golden sex links? I'm a newbie, and can not yet easily identify types except some really obvious ones!

Yes, my chickens are sex-links. :) I think the one in the pictures is a golden - my others are red sex-links and a lot darker shade of feathers. She was always the 'different' one, quite lucky that we picked her up, because she's always been specially pretty!

I love reading these posts and seeing that all newbies are going through the same thing! Mine are 2 1/2 weeks old and their wings look huge compared to their body size! I have 3 GSL's and 2 bantams. And they can fly alright! I too expect to come home from work one day and find them on the floor because they flew out! They are in a big box right now and the sides are easily 18" but they can fly up about a foot. Won't be long!! Their feathers are starting to come in between their wings. If you want day by day changes, you should take pictures every day - I am fascinated that each morning they have more feathers!!

I agree! I'm a newbie myself and find peace of mind being on the journey with others. : ) Mine are in a large bedded box w/ a lamp right now. No cover, but they are definitely working their wings lol.

What about feather development in juveniles? I know this area is for chicks but I haven't found anything about juvies. Mine are somewhere between 12-16 weeks but I don't know because I wasnt the one that purchases them so I didn't get to pester the sales person with a million questions :lol:

I have juvies around the 16 week mark who have been fully feathered for a while. They should keep those feathers and /I think/ go through a molt before they lay. at least that's what I've gathered. I would think it's before, since molting halts egg laying, though maybe they just hold off until all the older gals normally molt and don't do a juvenile molt.

I have six baby chicks. 5 r Barred ROCKS all r 16 days old wing feathers, tail & top of backs now. Lrg.Male has issues w little black pullet.He stretches his neck way above her to backer her down! Yes they jump & r try'n to Fly. I have porch screen over a "Toy" box.

We used 1" x 1" plastic fencing in a bamboo frame (I just wove bamboo through the edges to keep it straight then taped it off. Easy-peasy to handle, no hardware cloth!

Back
Top Bottom