Feather Growth?

ruffedgrouse

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
My rooster has torn feathers out of the backs of my hens, I no longer have any roosters, and its been 2 months, the feathers on the one hen start to grow back and she pulls them all out, does anyone have suggestions on how to keep her from pulling them out?

Last edited:
Depending on where the area is on the back, you might give hen saddles a try. A few BYCers usually offer them on the auction thread, or you can find patterns for them on-line. I have one hen who can't stand new feathers coming in - guess it hurts or is itchy/uncomfortable when those shafts poke through, because she will pick at them and get them bleeding. If they don't have access to them, they can't pluck them!

You could coat the area down with BlueKote...that may or may not work. If it works, you'll probably have to respray her every other day or so to keep it effective...

Isolate her. This will rearrange the pecking order. I've done this . Its best if you can free range the flock. You can take the isolated one & put her in their run while the others range. This will let the others see her while their ranging. You can up their protein to help grow their feathers back quicker. It will take some time probably around a month. Then after the isolation you add her back to the flock at night when everyone's roosting. Just put her on the roost with the others. Check her out first thing in the morning. Its best to let them all out to range the next morning.

Back
Top Bottom