Feather Loss Around Eyes

PhenixJiRa

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Idaho
This hen has been losing feathers around her eyes slowly over several months. She doesn't appear to have bugs or anything else wrong that I can find. She is two years old and has never fully molted so I'm not sure if that's what this is. (I have 4 hens and only 1 fully molted last year)

She does have feather loss under her vent so I was considering water belly but she has no other symptoms and continues to lay eggs. However, her egg laying is decreasing down to about 3 times a week from maybe 5 times. She has always had weak eggs that crack by tapping them (even during her first year).

So I'm just not sure what to think. I can take her to a vet but don't really want to separate her from the flock since she's the 'leader' and I fear would not last too long if her crown was removed by another hen.

Thoughts on what this could be and if there is anything to be done? I've read that water belly is ultimately a bad thing!

Attachments

• IMG_4593.jpg
    IMG_4593.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 68
Wow, that looks strange. Are you certain she doesn't have any mites/lice?

I was thinking it could be a pecking issue, but maybe not if she's the top hen. Do you have a rooster?

Wow, that looks strange. Are you certain she doesn't have any mites/lice?

I was thinking it could be a pecking issue, but maybe not if she's the top hen. Do you have a rooster?
I have searched for mites/lice but of course could simply be missing them. I would think by now the others would have the same issue though? It's taken months to get like this and, since I never saw mites, I just waited.

I do not have a rooster and no one pecks her so...

What do you feed them?
I give them a layer feed produced by a local feed mill. I used to give treats but now limit them to 'wet feed' and the following (not every day). Kale, zucchini (sometimes tossed with plain greek yogurt - once a week), spaghetti squash. I give them extra protein like tuna but maybe once a week or less often. There is the occasional other item (cucumber, tomato, etc) but it's very rare anymore.

The reason I cut back is because the two plymouth rock hens get poop on their back feathers a lot and I was told too much protein can do that.

Is there something you think I should or should not give them?

What percentage protein is the layer feed? 16% is a minimum and then anything you give them or they find free ranging will detract from that. Egg laying is one of the first things to go if they are not getting enough protein, and the feather thing could also be related.

If you’re in autumn now, it’s not unusual for laying to decrease. But the brittle egg shells imply she needs more calcium. Do they have access to grit and an additional calcium source like oyster shell?

It could be depluming mites but they are called depluming mites because the hen herself will pluck her feathers. That makes sense for feather loss around the vent but perhaps not on the top of her head…

You can do a thorough check over for lice and mites by parting the feathers and looking on the back of her neck, the feathers underneath each wing along her body, and around the vent and underbelly.

Look for movement. Mites are tiny, circular, red or black. Lice are bigger, straw coloured or brown, flat bodied. If you find any specks you’re not sure about, wet a piece of toilet paper and dab it on the specks. Dirt will be unchanged, but mite dirt will “bleed” in a ring. Note any crusty areas at the base of feathers.

This could just be the beginning of her moult. Can you take a picture of the feather loss around her vent?

What percentage protein is the layer feed? 16% is a minimum and then anything you give them or they find free ranging will detract from that. Egg laying is one of the first things to go if they are not getting enough protein, and the feather thing could also be related.

If you’re in autumn now, it’s not unusual for laying to decrease. But the brittle egg shells imply she needs more calcium. Do they have access to grit and an additional calcium source like oyster shell?

It could be depluming mites but they are called depluming mites because the hen herself will pluck her feathers. That makes sense for feather loss around the vent but perhaps not on the top of her head…

You can do a thorough check over for lice and mites by parting the feathers and looking on the back of her neck, the feathers underneath each wing along her body, and around the vent and underbelly.

Look for movement. Mites are tiny, circular, red or black. Lice are bigger, straw coloured or brown, flat bodied. If you find any specks you’re not sure about, wet a piece of toilet paper and dab it on the specks. Dirt will be unchanged, but mite dirt will “bleed” in a ring. Note any crusty areas at the base of feathers.

This could just be the beginning of her moult. Can you take a picture of the feather loss around her vent?
Their feed is 16% and I will be moving to a higher volume in October due to molting. They get to forage in the yard at least an hour a day and are always finding bugs or worms, etc.

They have a constant supply of calcium either dried egg shells or oyster shell (although I rarely see them eat that).

That's an interesting way to check... I'll use that method with the toilet paper!!

I am attaching a photo. She has been like this for a very long time and, when it first appeared, I thought she was molting (maybe 6 months ago). I don't witness her picking on that area and none of the other chickens bother it. As I continued to watch her, I could not find any mites (but maybe I just can't see them) and she has continued to lay eggs and be her usual 'leader of the flock'. It could be time to have her checked.

Attachments

• IMG_4609.jpg
    IMG_4609.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 8
Hmm yeah I don’t know I’m afraid… if she’s eating and drinking and acting normally those are good signs. Does she go to bed with a full crop and is it empty each morning?

The vet would have more to say I’m sure.

I have chickens with feather loss and red skin along their bellies that a vet said was just from nesting. But feather loss, swelling and redness under the vent is a sign of ascites. Other signs including blue/purple discolouration of the comb and panting breath.

Ascites can be caused by several things. It is pulmonary hypertension so there’s too much pressure between the heart and the lungs. The liver becomes affected and leaks fluid which results in the build up in the abdominal cavity.

Reproductive issues like internal laying, EYP and salpingitis can also result in swelling in the same area.

Are her droppings regular?

Hmm yeah I don’t know I’m afraid… if she’s eating and drinking and acting normally those are good signs. Does she go to bed with a full crop and is it empty each morning?

The vet would have more to say I’m sure.

I have chickens with feather loss and red skin along their bellies that a vet said was just from nesting. But feather loss, swelling and redness under the vent is a sign of ascites. Other signs including blue/purple discolouration of the comb and panting breath.

Ascites can be caused by several things. It is pulmonary hypertension so there’s too much pressure between the heart and the lungs. The liver becomes affected and leaks fluid which results in the build up in the abdominal cavity.

Reproductive issues like internal laying, EYP and salpingitis can also result in swelling in the same area.

Are her droppings regular?
Her droppings are normal. It hasn’t been until the last couple weeks (out of several months) that her laying has slowed. Maybe she’s getting worse. Of course I can’t tell by the way she acts because she hasn’t changed in that way. I am integrating the 17 week old pullets (about 3 weeks now) but now sure if that would affect her laying.

She doesn’t seem swollen to me (about the same as usual). I don’t know. I think she’s ok and then I’m not sure. I don’t want to put her through vet visits because that’s not always pleasant.

I think any change can affect laying. But they will taper off as the daylight hours get shorter. This is not a bad thing, it gives their bodies a break.

How many pullets do you have?

You could try giving you hen a human calcium supplement each day to improve the quality of her egg shells.

I would give the calcium and take a wait and see approach. If she began self-isolating, was fluffed up and lethargic, her droppings changed or her crop wasn’t emptying properly, I would go to the vet. You can also weigh her each week and palpate her abdomen and note any changes and if they are concerning, take her to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom