Feather loss in my 4-week old chick

NurtureThyme

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
On July 5th I posted that my 3-week old Cochin chick was having a hard time gaining weight and had an almost constant panicked chirping. I'm happy to say that after a round of Corid, pre & probiotics she's doing quite well. Happy chirping, gaining weight every day and overall doing really great!

Here's my concern (newbie here): When we first got her she had pasty butt which we took care of and make certain her vent is clean daily. She's lost a considerable amount of feathers around her butt. Do you think this is from the stress of what she went through? Fungal infection? No signs of mites or lice. Her brooder buddy is perfectly fine. Should I not be concerned? Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

IMG_3277.JPG

Being that the area isnt red or excoriated I wouldnt think it's something that need treating. If the loss continues there may be an issue. Is she with otuer chicks that could be pecking her?

On July 5th I posted that my 3-week old Cochin chick was having a hard time gaining weight and had an almost constant panicked chirping. I'm happy to say that after a round of Corid, pre & probiotics she's doing quite well. Happy chirping, gaining weight every day and overall doing really great!

Here's my concern (newbie here): When we first got her she had pasty butt which we took care of and make certain her vent is clean daily. She's lost a considerable amount of feathers around her butt. Do you think this is from the stress of what she went through? Fungal infection? No signs of mites or lice. Her brooder buddy is perfectly fine. Should I not be concerned? Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

View attachment 2240794
Is her vent distended?
I would just keep watch on her - if she's healthy, active, eating/drinking then she should feather out soon.

Being that the area isnt red or excoriated I wouldnt think it's something that need treating. If the loss continues there may be an issue. Is she with otuer chicks that could be pecking her?

She has one chick with her and I’ve never noticed any pecking being done. They’re right next to my desk so I’m with them often.

Is her vent distended?
I would just keep watch on her - if she's healthy, active, eating/drinking then she should feather out soon.

I have no idea if her vent is distended...it doesn’t seem irritated and she poops just fine...yes, I watch as I’m a neurotic new chicken mom 😬

She’s in the hen but I have a slightly different view:
I guess it's the bottom of her tail I'm seeing :lol:

If she's not getting picked at, eating/drinking and happy - then I would leave her be. Give her some time and see if she feathers out.

It seems like you are keeping close watch on her :)

Back
Top Bottom