Feather loss, red irritated bottom/skin...tried everything. Ugh.

Milkandbananas

Hatching
May 7, 2020
Needing some help with our hens. I assumed it was mites and or chicken lice but now I just don't know because I have feel like I've literally tried everything and nothing is working. We've had the chickens since they were chicks so for about one year. They don't seem to peck at each other. I'm just at a loss as to what to do or how to treat whatever this might be. I guess the next thing would be some type of antibiotic or whatever people can suggest. Thanks for your kindness and help. The stuff listed are treatments we've done over the last couple months (so not all at once).

We have:

Thoroughly cleaned coop with scalex (mites/lice)inside, around, under - several times / consistently

Oral Nystatin for two weeks

Bathed the hens several times with vetricyn foaming wash then dusted with DE (later tried bathing then applying Sevin).

Applied scalex to hens directly

Used TONS of DE in run, dust bath and coop

Used Sevin dust in run after thorough cleaning (and after chickens bathed)

Peanut butter mixed with garlic (garlic supposed to be good for internal and to ward off potential critters)

Daily chicken probiotic mixed in with food

Now on feather-grow layer feed to encourage feather regrowth. Can't remember name.

And finally pour on ivermectin (so far only one dose) - next dose in about 5 days.

As mentioned this was all done over the last couple months, not all at once.

Also to complicate things - our silky had a clutch of four chicks and she stays inside with them, with "Fieldtrips" outside to graze with the other two hens. We also put ivermectin on the silky. Nothing on the chicks but we are planning some DE today or tomorrow. Chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old silky/easter egger.

We have a large shed we will be putting up for a coop in the next week --- my goal is to treat whatever this is before relocating everyone but not sure if the old coop is just part of the problem. AAAaaccck.

I don't know what this is, how to treat it or even what's left to try. Would antibiotics be next and if so, suggestions on dosage and type. Thanks for any suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_132558.jpg
    IMG_20200529_132558.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200529_132537.jpg
    IMG_20200529_132537.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200529_132530.jpg
    IMG_20200529_132530.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200529_132526_1.jpg
    IMG_20200529_132526_1.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 16
Eprinex on the neck. 1cc for large chickens, 1/2cc for small ones. No withdrawl time. Do it again in 10 days. Treat coop with pymethrin spray in every nook and crannie. I had to do it 2x when mine got mites.

Eprinex on the neck. 1cc for large chickens, 1/2cc for small ones. No withdrawl time. Do it again in 10 days. Treat coop with pymethrin spray in every nook and crannie. I had to do it 2x when mine got mites.
Thank you so much! Do you think it is most likely mites judging by the pictures? I thought so at first but am not seeing any.

They look just like mine did when I had a problem. Best way to know for sure, at least this is what I was told to do is go out when they are roosting at night, and look around thier vent. You will see tiny little red things crawling on them. Those are the mites.
I had a veterinarian tell me to use the Eprinex on them.

Back
Top Bottom