1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feather meal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sinde, Jan 30, 2014.

1. sinde

sinde Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Kasane,Botswana
    hello everyone. can u guys help me understand how to make feather meal. i want to make use of the feathers to add to my chicken feeds.

Thank you in advance.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    FWIW….I had never heard of this until I saw your question. I googled it and found a Wiki page on feather meal that gives good information. It says it is high in nitrogen and is used as a soil amendment or nitrogen supplement for ruminants (cows, sheep, goats etc.) but it did not mention it as a food supplement for poultry. I am surprised as I would have expected it to be a protein supplement vs. nitrogen.

3. HomesteadDucks

HomesteadDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2015
    I wouldn't buy feather meal. You never know what they fed those birds. But making your own would be just fine. From the looks of it, just grind the feathers to a consistency you're ok with using, then dry it out. Fairly simple. You can use in in the garden but I've even heard of people adding it back into their feed. But that's controversial. Some people don't think you should feed the chickens what came from them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by