Feather Picking Emergency!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmer geek, Mar 11, 2011.

1. farmer geek

farmer geek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    My hen, an Australorp, is getting really vicious. She has never made any attempt at attacking another bird before and now she is pecking all of the other hens really badly. I have found a lot of splattered blood from the pecking and the hens have a lot of bare spots. What should I do??? Also, now the other hens have started to peck each other too. Whats wrong? Can I do anything to prevent it?

2. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    Cover all injuries with bluekote, healex, bandaides, masking tape.... anything. If you have a white heat lamp, replace it with a red one. Give them some grit to chew on instead. do u have enough protein in their diet? Check that. Scramble some eggs for them to eat. Give them some greens, hang lettuce as a distraction. If u can separate chickens either being picked on or picking.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You might want to check the threads linked on the FAQ page on this subject. Usually they need more protein or more space, or both.

4. Quinn4321

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    oh yeah. forgot to add about space- if you dont have an outdoor run i have read that 2-4 sq. feet of space are required per chicken. if you have an outdoor run only 1 sq foot of space is required *in the coop* for each chicken. not sure how accurate this is, but it is what i know. keep us updated!

5. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I would first separate the injured ones to make sure all the wounds heal. Make sure they are healed COMPLETELY before reuniting them, because they will just start pecking again.

Then, make sure that they have something to do to avoid getting bored. Even in the winter they can get outside are get some fresh air.

Make sure that their feed is balanced and has enough protein. Insufficient nutrients can lead to pecking.

6. buckeyejerseygiants

buckeyejerseygiants Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Pine tar is something else that I would recommend putting on those that have bare skin. That will keep them from pecking it into open wounds.

7. farmer geek

farmer geek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Thanks for your help!!! I'll try to add more protein and calcium into their diet first.
    Also, is there a special way to clean small blood stains off of wood?

8. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I culled our barred rock bc she was doing this to her 3 'friends'. She drew blood today and wouldn't stop. go to the meat birds sections, shes in there...dressed out lol

9. Quinn4321

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    Your welcome- I was glad to be of help. keep us updated- are all the hens going to be ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by