Feather picking

Katrinasofia

Chirping
Oct 16, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Hi. I'm very new and still learning but today I'm very alarmed. I have 6 four month old chickens who up until today have been doing quite well.
I have one chick that is very much larger that the others (she actually looks unusual) but today I noticed that she was bloody under her wing. She doesn't have alot of feathers underneath her wings but today I see blood.
How do I know if she's picking or if she's being picked on. Now what? should I separate her?

Clean the wound and put Vetricyn on it, or even Blu-Kote. If it's bad, use an antibiotic ointment on it like Neosporin, without pain killer. Be sure to watch it for fly strike, and healing progress.

How will I know when to separate her for protection
Have you actually seen another pullet picking on her? Blu-Kote will get rid of any red, and chickens will typically peck at anything red. Don't separate her if you are not positive she's being pecked by another chicken and not herself. Have you checked her over for mites?

Picture of her "injurty" would help ... Have you also checked for mites/lice? Is it possible she hurt herself somehow?

When feeding "treats" whether it's veggies/fruit, it imbalances the nutritional value of the feed. I found this out when my pullets weren't gaining and felt thin. Fecal float negative, BYC members clued me in on the "treat" factor (no more than 10% of their intake).

If you choose keep her from being pecked on, suggest a wire cage with food & water, put the cage in the coop ... That way she remains part of the flock and no integration issues.

Have you actually seen another pullet picking on her? Blu-Kote will get rid of any red, and chickens will typically peck at anything red. Don't separate her if you are not positive she's being pecked by another chicken and not herself. Have you checked her over for mites?
Ditto Dat^^^

Also @Katrinasofia how big is their coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.
Do you have any male chickens?

Back
Top Bottom