Feather picking?

We’re in Spokane, WA!
We have 12-22 week old hens.
I have checked for external parasites multiple times and never find anything. Which is good!

I am beginning to think it’s juvenile molting. I’ve been watching them more closing and am not really seeing any behavior causing it.

Thank you!!

OK.

They are not hens, they're pullets. They'll be hens when they turn a year old or, at least, are laying full-sized eggs rather than the small eggs that pullets start with. :)

The older ones should be done with all their juvenile molts, but the younger ones are definitely of the age to be replacing feathers as they grow so rapidly (my grow-out area often looks like bomb went off in a pillow factory).

Photos?

Just because we LOVE chicken photos around here. :love

We’re in Spokane, WA!
Welcome to BYC! @Shamiira
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1687020188020.png

Is that layer feed? You might want to keep them on chick starter or switch them over to an all flock feed at least until they begin to lay. 17% really isn't enough protein for growing pullets.
It’s actually grower feed. They still need more protein than that? Oh gosh. Ok! I do feed a good amount of meal worms / black soldier fly larvae they honestly don’t eat a lot of their food. They mostly forage the yard.

OK.

They are not hens, they're pullets. They'll be hens when they turn a year old or, at least, are laying full-sized eggs rather than the small eggs that pullets start with. :)

The older ones should be done with all their juvenile molts, but the younger ones are definitely of the age to be replacing feathers as they grow so rapidly (my grow-out area often looks like bomb went off in a pillow factory).

Photos?

Just because we LOVE chicken photos around here. :love
Oh! I will keep that in mind between pullets and hens! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0987.jpeg
    IMG_0987.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0973.jpeg
    IMG_0973.jpeg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0938.jpeg
    IMG_0938.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    499.6 KB · Views: 4
It’s actually grower feed. They still need more protein than that? Oh gosh. Ok! I do feed a good amount of meal worms / black soldier fly larvae they honestly don’t eat a lot of their food. They mostly forage the yard.
Larvae are treats, they're like cheetos, high in fat.
Find a grower that's atleast 18% and cut way back on the treats. :] and possibly minimize yard time.

I'm actually fine with 17%, I don't particularly need my birds to mature quickly or to grow beefier (obviously if that's a concern for you, then by all means increase protein).

The mealworms and larvae are treats, and on the fatty side, so the fact that they're not eating their feed and eating treats instead means you're getting less balanced nutrition into them, which is a bigger concern than switching to a different feed for 1% protein. The foraging is fine, but they really need to eat their feed the rest of the time.

Back
Top Bottom