Feather picking?

I'm actually fine with 17%, I don't particularly need my birds to mature quickly or to grow beefier (obviously if that's a concern for you, then by all means increase protein).

The mealworms and larvae are treats, and on the fatty side, so the fact that they're not eating their feed and eating treats instead means you're getting less balanced nutrition into them, which is a bigger concern than switching to a different feed for 1% protein. The foraging is fine, but they really need to eat their feed the rest of the time.
I appreciate this! I don’t want to feed soy so I will try to cut down on treats. I just love that they get so excited and follow me around 🥰

I appreciate this! I don’t want to feed soy so I will try to cut down on treats. I just love that they get so excited and follow me around 🥰
Mine will follow me around just for a handful of their regular pellets. I mix some of their pellets into any treats I buy so I can overindulge and toss them a bit extra, but it cuts down on the actual amount of treats they receive since half of what's being tossed is just their feed.

Mine will follow me around just for a handful of their regular pellets. I mix some of their pellets into any treats I buy so I can overindulge and toss them a bit extra, but it cuts down on the actual amount of treats they receive since half of what's being tossed is just their feed.
Thank you for that! I will try again. They weren’t fans of that before 😂

I think 17% protein is probably adequate if they were confined, but IMO since they are roaming the yard all day and likely eating a lot of lower protein greenery it would probably be best to bump the feed up to 18 to 20%.

@Shamiira , are you currently feeding them a soy free feed?
I am currently feeding soy free, yes. We’re using a scratch and Peck brand grower feed.

I am currently feeding soy free, yes. We’re using a scratch and Peck brand grower feed.

One issue with whole grain feeds is that the birds may pick out their favorites and not get a balanced diet. Sometimes the dominant birds suffer one kind of nutritional deficiency from picking out the "bird candy" components while the low-ranked birds suffer a different kind by having to eat the leavings.

Some people serve this type of diet wet or fermented to reduce the birds ability to do this and, especially to ensure that they actually get the vitamin mix that is included in either pellet or powdered form.

One issue with whole grain feeds is that the birds may pick out their favorites and not get a balanced diet. Sometimes the dominant birds suffer one kind of nutritional deficiency from picking out the "bird candy" components while the low-ranked birds suffer a different kind by having to eat the leavings.

Some people serve this type of diet wet or fermented to reduce the birds ability to do this and, especially to ensure that they actually get the vitamin mix that is included in either pellet or powdered form.
I second this ⬆️
That may also be why they seem to not be eating very much of it. They could very well be just picking out the bits they prefer and leaving the rest. Especially since they are also getting the extra treats.

This I did not know! Thanks for sharing!

Maybe they do eat more than I think though? Their feeder is a 10# feeder and they eat about half of that a week between the 7 of them. I still have about 60# of this food as I over bought 😂 they ate 5# of a cheaper food in 2 days before I got this one delivered. I can def look at soaking, fermenting or buying something different next round.

Back
Top Bottom