Feather problem?

Jessatiel

Chirping
May 13, 2022
Northern CA
Hello! I have a hen who is looking really scruffy. She’s old enough to molt, and I just read some of the pages about molts and how to tell the difference between a molt and signs of parasites (like mites), but I’m still not sure.

My concern is that it looks like the feathers are being bitten off. This hen is the boss, so I really don’t think anyone is picking at her feathers. When I check her bum and the base of her feathers, they are not squeaky-clean, but do not look like the mite-egg photos I see online at all.

She’s eating, drinking, and laying (Although that has slowed down in our recent very hot weather).

I’d appreciate any advice! Photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6462.jpeg
    IMG_6462.jpeg
    631.3 KB · Views: 56
Do you have a rooster? She does look to be molting. Many will lose the tail feathers or feather on the front of the neck first. If others notice new pin feathers coming in, they may peck and eat them. Are you feeding some extra protein right now? Scrambled eggs, or some tuna tossed out to the whole group can attract interest and give them a boost. Are you feeding a layer type feed?

Do you have a rooster? She does look to be molting. Many will lose the tail feathers or feather on the front of the neck first. If others notice new pin feathers coming in, they may peck and eat them. Are you feeding some extra protein right now? Scrambled eggs, or some tuna tossed out to the whole group can attract interest and give them a boost. Are you feeding a layer type feed?
Thank you for the reply! She has lost throat feathers, too. I don’t have a rooster. I give them a layer feed (16% protein). Thanks for the advice about boosting protein.

Back
Top Bottom