Feather problems

weldergirl88

Hatching
Feb 4, 2023
Hello, this sweet girl is just a year old. She was given to us because the previous owner thought she was getting picked on. I have had her for 3 months. her feathers have not grown in much at all. Any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance.

IMG-0227.jpg

Looks like she was bullied-

We had a polish who looked like this. Her feathers may not be growing back due to some reasons, such as molting, mites, a disease, etc.
check her feathers to see if you can find any bugs on her skin? You can use diatomaceous earth to prevent bugs.

But, I don’t know very much on feather issues. I would wait for someone else to answer to this thread. Good luck!

Have you checked for depluming or other mites? Are the other hens picking out her feathers (do you have a coop camera to see)?

I would isolate her within the coop/run for 2-4 weeks and see if she makes progress. For instance, I have an open-air covered coop/run combo, and I use a large dog crate for the isolation cage. I put food and water and a perch in there, and cover 2-3 sides and the top with old feed bags/house wrap so she has a visual barrier and ventilation, but can still see and interact with the flock. That way her place is kept in the pecking order, but anyone who wants to pick her can't get to her.

The new feathers won't grow back until her next molt, just make sure she gets high protein feed so she can rebuild herself.
If you feel she has mites or lice, treat with permethrin based products.
Diatomaceous Earth is a lung irritant, it shouldn't be used anywhere you or your birds can breathe. It's only slightly effective on pests, it not worth it

Back
Top Bottom