Feather sexing silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeautifulBlue, May 13, 2009.

1. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    I know silkies are hard to sex, and you can't tell until about 6 months. But I've done a search and wondered if you could feather sex them as chicks? With other breeds you can, if the feathers are even you have a male, does it work for silkies?
    Cos if it does....I have a boy lol

2. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I thought even was girl, and uneven was was boy?? LOL but I am not sure on that...good chance I might be wrong [​IMG]

3. thowe

thowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    NH
    I have been wondering the same thing. Can't wait to see what the pros say!!!!

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    You can feather sex some breeds. Silkies are NOT among them.

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Actually, I am pretty sure there are only a few select breeds you can feather sex. Most you cannot and I am assuming Silkies are NOT one you can feather sex. However, I have 3 and they are about 15 weeks old. I have known for a long time there was one boy and two girls. Just subtle differences in growth and development and the comb. Now the one boy has a much wider comb and prominent wattles and the two girls don't. Good luck.

6. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Not with silkie's...unfortunately. at about 2-3 months though, boys grow wattles, girls do not. Hope that helps.[​IMG]

7. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    ahh I should of researched silkies more before getting my two...seem sort of pain in the rear high maintaince birds...is this true? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by