feathered feet in Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tgodsey, Apr 7, 2019.

1. tgodsey

tgodsey In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2019
    I have already posted that in my assortment of Silkies, that are now about 16-18 days old that I'm not so sure they are all silkies because of the standard silkie colors that a few of my birds just don't have. I just read that a true silkie had feathering on the outer and middle toe. Is this true? All of my babies have black skin and 5 toes and all but a few have feathers on their outer and middle toes. Thanks! A few more pics of my odd colored ones.. IMG_20190407_114141.jpg IMG_20190407_114141.jpg IMG_20190407_114302.jpg

bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like hatchery quality variations... and not too bad, for hatchery.

While there is a standard of perfection... that includes how heavily feathered the feet should be and they come in many color varieties... I have received some from hatchery that weren't even feather legged... they were still Silkies... Just not breeding or show quality. :)

ETA: that's a little cutie! :love

3. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Free Ranging

Did you get these from a hatchery? The first looks like a d’Uccle cross

4. Ilovechickens119

Ilovechickens119 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2019
    Yes, I am pretty sure if they have black skin and 5 toes they are silkies. I have one beautiful girl silkie named Sooty, she is gorgeous - they are one of my favourite breeds!!

tgodsey and bantamsrmyfav like this.
  5. tgodsey

tgodsey In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2019
    Thank You, that makes sense. They are really starting to fill out now and they each have their own little personalities. My daughter has fallen in love with all 12 of course and narrowing it down to 3 or 4 is going to be tough. I just hope I don't end up with all roo's. lol

6. bantamsrmyfav

If they are not from a hatchery then yes they should be purebred because hatcheries usually only sell purebred.

7. bantamsrmyfav

And in that case (assuming they are from a hatchery) the first would be a d'Uccle, not a silkie

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

You must have better eyes than me. :)

It's true that hatcheries sell mostly pure breeds... But I don't consider sex links as pure breed per say... and certainly NOT any of the Olive Eggers they are selling. Also it seems as though many are may even be working on coming up with some of their own breeds, like the midnight Majesty Marans.

If there is a d'uccle in the mix (and it might be)... it will have a straight comb and not be silkied as it feathers in. Also it won't be crested.. which I thought the first chick might be missing, but many of my hatchery Silkies had seriously small crest that developed late, some even had 4 toes, light skin depending on variety and can be bearded or non bearded. Better pics without the red glowing would be cool! :pop

Also, you can check the hatcheries website and see what all varieties they have available and help you narrow down what ya got. :)

9. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    Looks like a d'uccle and a silkie.

10. tgodsey

tgodsey In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2019
    I got them from my local Feed/supply store who orders from Ideal Poultry out of Texas.

bantamsrmyfav likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: