feathered feet in Bantams

tgodsey

Chirping
Apr 3, 2019
I have already posted that in my assortment of Silkies, that are now about 16-18 days old that I'm not so sure they are all silkies because of the standard silkie colors that a few of my birds just don't have. I just read that a true silkie had feathering on the outer and middle toe. Is this true? All of my babies have black skin and 5 toes and all but a few have feathers on their outer and middle toes. Thanks! A few more pics of my odd colored ones..
IMG_20190407_114141.jpg
IMG_20190407_114141.jpg
IMG_20190407_114302.jpg

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like hatchery quality variations... and not too bad, for hatchery.

While there is a standard of perfection... that includes how heavily feathered the feet should be and they come in many color varieties... I have received some from hatchery that weren't even feather legged... they were still Silkies... Just not breeding or show quality. :)

ETA: that's a little cutie! :love

I have already posted that in my assortment of Silkies, that are now about 16-18 days old that I'm not so sure they are all silkies because of the standard silkie colors that a few of my birds just don't have. I just read that a true silkie had feathering on the outer and middle toe. Is this true? All of my babies have black skin and 5 toes and all but a few have feathers on their outer and middle toes. Thanks! A few more pics of my odd colored ones.. View attachment 1729436 View attachment 1729436 View attachment 1729437
Yes, I am pretty sure if they have black skin and 5 toes they are silkies. I have one beautiful girl silkie named Sooty, she is gorgeous - they are one of my favourite breeds!!

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like hatchery quality variations... and not too bad, for hatchery.

While there is a standard of perfection... that includes how heavily feathered the feet should be and they come in many color varieties... I have received some from hatchery that weren't even feather legged... they were still Silkies... Just not breeding or show quality. :)

ETA: that's a little cutie! :love
Thank You, that makes sense. They are really starting to fill out now and they each have their own little personalities. My daughter has fallen in love with all 12 of course and narrowing it down to 3 or 4 is going to be tough. I just hope I don't end up with all roo's. lol

And in that case (assuming they are from a hatchery) the first would be a d'Uccle, not a silkie
You must have better eyes than me. :)

It's true that hatcheries sell mostly pure breeds... But I don't consider sex links as pure breed per say... and certainly NOT any of the Olive Eggers they are selling. Also it seems as though many are may even be working on coming up with some of their own breeds, like the midnight Majesty Marans.

If there is a d'uccle in the mix (and it might be)... it will have a straight comb and not be silkied as it feathers in. Also it won't be crested.. which I thought the first chick might be missing, but many of my hatchery Silkies had seriously small crest that developed late, some even had 4 toes, light skin depending on variety and can be bearded or non bearded. Better pics without the red glowing would be cool! :pop

Also, you can check the hatcheries website and see what all varieties they have available and help you narrow down what ya got. :)

Back
Top Bottom