Feathered feet pecking

bnell910

Hatching
Jan 3, 2023
Hi Everyone!

We have a small mixed flock of a light Brahma, a Buff Brahma, a Copper Maran, a Salmon Favorelle, a Speckled Sussex and a Blue laced red Wyandotte. They are all between 7-10 weeks and have been together for over a month. They have a 10×10 covered run, several feed spots and nesting and perching areas.
This last week, the Speckled Sussex, which we suspect is a cockerel has begun to peck the feathers on the feet of the other pullets. I have also seen it eating tiny feathers. What is going on!!?? The SS follows the BB, SF, and LB around trying to peck the feathers off their feet. The BCM is left alone as well as the BRW
I do supplement with meal worms, sprouted grains and they are on organic grower.
Any advice would be helpful! We don't want to rehome the SS but if this keeps up we will. Thanks!!!

Cut back on the meal worms for now, they could be diluting their proper feed too much. you can remove the SS for a few days or try painless peepers.
Thank you! They only get 2-3 dried meal worms as a treat....I read that feather eating could be a sign of protein deficiency so I have been trying to increase protein levels. I will look into the pinless peepers!

Thank you! They only get 2-3 dried meal worms as a treat....I read that feather eating could be a sign of protein deficiency so I have been trying to increase protein levels. I will look into the pinless peepers!
It can be a sign of low protein, yes but mealworms have too much fat to their little protein.
What protein is your grower? if it's 18% or more, protein is likely not the issue.

I just checked and it is 16%......hmmm, maybe I should switch?

Where, in general, are you?

@U_Stormcrow has mentioned that feed in Europe and Great Britain differs from feed in the US, having lower protein but a more careful balance of amino acids (due to different regulations and farming practices).

My personal preference is to use at least 18% protein, 20% if I can get it, because I like the cushion and often have growing young birds in my flock.

Your space sounds good for 6 birds so crowding-related social problems seems unlikely. Do you have plenty of "clutter" in the run or is it all open?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Consider an All Flock (aka Flock Raiser or Flock Maker) feed with 20% protein. The name isn't important; different brands call them different things.

When your pullets get a little closer to laying age, put out a calcium source, like oyster shell.

Wow, 16% "Grower"? and Organic, at that?? It isn't whole grain, is it?

Where are you??? That's an unusual combination here in the US, and yes, feather pecking (and eating) can be a sign of low protein, it can be a sign of stressed flock (space competition, often), and sign of other (rarer) issues as well. Good advice above - before I offer anything of substance, I'd really like to know where you are and what (brand, etc) you are feeding. You should have adequate space, that's a good amount of room for the number of birds.

Doesn't sound like dominance behaviors, either.

Where, in general, are you?

@U_Stormcrow has mentioned that feed in Europe and Great Britain differs from feed in the US, having lower protein but a more careful balance of amino acids (due to different regulations and farming practices).

My personal preference is to use at least 18% protein, 20% if I can get it, because I like the cushion and often have growing young birds in my flock.

Your space sounds good for 6 birds so crowding-related social problems seems unlikely. Do you have plenty of "clutter" in the run or is it all open?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Hi! We are in Wilmington, NC.
I have some straw bales, perches, multiple feed and water spots and 2 nesting areas. We also let them out to forage around the yard too....they have lots to do!
We did just move them from our laundry room to outside, that's when the behavior started.
The Speckled Sussex is very feisty, she/he has always chased the others and challenged them. But the foot pecking is new.....bummer😒

Back
Top Bottom