Feathered Feet

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
Are feathered feet a "dominant" gene or can you breed that characteristic out?

I have some "mixed" Columbian Rock pullets (clean legged and single combed) that I am considering breeding to a Light Brahma roo to work toward getting a real Columbian Rock (since I can't find any real ones here stateside). However I am concerned as to whether or not I can breed out the feathered feet? Also the pea comb....can that be bred out and replaced with a single comb?

All you genetics experts out there.....can you help me out?

THANKS as always!

Anything can be bred out given enough time
wink.png

Ptilipody (feathered feet) are caused by three genes, two are incompletely dominant and one is recessive. One of the incompletely dominant genes has two separate alleles for feathered feet as well as one that is not-feathered feet. http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html#gen_mut_footfeath Basically keep breeding subsequent generation offspring with the least foot feathers back to the not feather footed breed and you will get there.

Changing pea comb to single is easier, as single comb is recessive to pea comb. Breed a single combed bird to your brahma, then breed the offspring back to another single combed bird and half the offspring should have single combs. If you bred the F1 crosses together it would be 25% with single combs.

If you mix them with Brahma you will get good Columbian color but will luse tipe,will get feater legs and pea comb.Working for tipe is not easy.I see you have Barred Rocks.If they are good quality use them.Even mix your birds cary Columbian.It is easy to get rid of E (extendet black) and barring den Brahma tipe

How about using columbian wyandottes? You still have the comb and type issues but not the feathered feet.

I think that right now using the light brahma on your rocks is a great step. There are a number of pros to doing this. I have heard of one breeder doing this about 30 years ago to improve the type, color and size of the columbians in LF Rocks.

I did the cross this year of a low tailed white rock bantam male to a high tailed light brahma female. This was done for a number of reasons. Most columbian rock bantams are not worth a hoot. They lack in type and most definately BONE. This is why I did the cross. Now it will take me a few more generations to get back to clean legs, sigle combs etc. But I think it is a good place to start.

This cross will work well for the columbian rock LF if you ask me. They all lack in size and bone just like in Bantams. The type is easier to regain from a brahma cross than a wyandotte.

This is my opinion on the subject. Take it or leave it, just thought I would share what I have heard about the cross

I agree with Kara. Columbians run light bodied and the cross you propose is a good one.

I outcrossed my barreds which have run small and light to Delawares with the same idea. I needed better breadth and bone and I got it in the few pullets produced, now I have to play down that darn tail angle all over again. But I don't have the feather foot wrestle to do. Handy to have a good Delaware Roo when you need one.

Back
Top Bottom