FeatherFeetFarms Shipped Egg Hatch-a-long!

Still needing an answer on this one.

Day 10 candling wasnt great. I'll post the exact results tommorow, but there was no movement. Some embryos looked good. But some, like egg 1, were not visible anymore. Soldier egg looked good!
Usually if a clutch is a week old it is too late to introduce another new chick. I say usually because chickens are unpredictable. Read a lot of stories on here and mostly they have to be introduced within a day or two of hatch.

Is no news bad news? It’s always so disappointing when shipped eggs go so wrong. I once had an entire batch of 24 quail eggs that were only shipped from 2 hours away hatch 2 babies, and they were tiny and needed lots of TLC. I also bought shipped eggs for the EHAL and out of the 24 total that I bought I got 6 chicks. 🫤 Made each chick very very valuable!

Is no news bad news? It’s always so disappointing when shipped eggs go so wrong. I once had an entire batch of 24 quail eggs that were only shipped from 2 hours away hatch 2 babies, and they were tiny and needed lots of TLC. I also bought shipped eggs for the EHAL and out of the 24 total that I bought I got 6 chicks. 🫤 Made each chick very very valuable!
Yep! No babies. When I opened them up I found that the oldest ones were probably 5 days old. They were small, about the size of a dime. They had wing nubs and beginning of feet. They had a mouth hole. And one had clear blue pigmented eyes. Oh! And the back of the head was not formed. Some were just a dot.
egg 1:
20220424_141356.jpg
20220424_142421.jpg

egg 2:
20220424_142847.jpg
20220424_143411.jpg

Egg 3:
20220424_144115.jpg

20220424_144642.jpg

20220424_144827.jpg

Egg 4:
20220424_150021.jpg
20220424_150645.jpg
20220424_150709.jpg

Egg 5:
20220424_151437.jpg
20220424_152137.jpg
20220424_152059.jpg

Yep! No babies. When I opened them up I found that the oldest ones were probably 5 days old. They were small, about the size of a dime. They had wing nubs and beginning of feet. They had a mouth hole. And one had clear blue pigmented eyes. Oh! And the back of the head was not formed. Some were just a dot.
Awww poor babies. I’m sorry none developed! :-(

Awww poor babies. I’m sorry none developed! :-(
3 of my chicken were killed by gnats. 2 that I hatched earlier this year that were 2 months old and 1 year old broody hen. Meaning I have more space. A whole coop to be exact. So next year Im going to order 6 more Bantam eggs from her and she said she would throw in more with my next order. Then one of my friends said she would help me rebuild my flock, and she has a black Cochin Rooster that I gave her in with some splash hens. So I'll probably get like six eggs from her. I will order the eggs from EBay to come 3 weeks before my Ideal hatchery order comes in. From Ideal I want to order a bunch of the breeds I have been wanting. So maybe 7 chicks in total. So then, all at the same time I should have
Chicks from EBay eggs
Chicks from my friend eggs
Chicks from Ideal hatchery

All bantams. And I am getting a mottled hen to go with the rooster that lost one of his hens. So this year there was death. But next year will bring new life!

3 of my chicken were killed by gnats. 2 that I hatched earlier this year that were 2 months old and 1 year old broody hen. Meaning I have more space. A whole coop to be exact. So next year Im going to order 6 more Bantam eggs from her and she said she would throw in more with my next order. Then one of my friends said she would help me rebuild my flock, and she has a black Cochin Rooster that I gave her in with some splash hens. So I'll probably get like six eggs from her. I will order the eggs from EBay to come 3 weeks before my Ideal hatchery order comes in. From Ideal I want to order a bunch of the breeds I have been wanting. So maybe 7 chicks in total. So then, all at the same time I should have
Chicks from EBay eggs
Chicks from my friend eggs
Chicks from Ideal hatchery

All bantams. And I am getting a mottled hen to go with the rooster that lost one of his hens. So this year there was death. But next year will bring new life!
Sounds like you will have a lively bunch when all is said and done! I can’t imagine having an empty coop 😆 I went sort of crazy this year on the bantams. I got 4 sets of shipped eggs, eggs from local people, and eggs of my own! So many chickens 😁

Sounds like you will have a lively bunch when all is said and done! I can’t imagine having an empty coop 😆 I went sort of crazy this year on the bantams. I got 4 sets of shipped eggs, eggs from local people, and eggs of my own! So many chickens 😁
Dont you worry. I just also tried to hatch an egg from my friend that I stole when I was at her house. We put it under a broody hen when it went into lockdown and it hatched then died. She was still broody and we went to the feed store for feed. Its lucky all they had were barred rocks.

Back
Top Bottom