Featherless Bellies on Cornish Cross

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MOlstad, Jul 2, 2016.

1. MOlstad

MOlstad New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    I have a flock of six Cornish Cross, this is my first flock of Cornish Cross, but I had Cochin's in the past. The birds are about 4 weeks old now, and this morning when I fed them I noticed that they have feathers missing on their bellies. They looked fine prior, but I'm sure the feathers didn't fall out over night. I haven't seen any feathers in the coop. The coop had straw for bedding for a while, but I pulled all of it out this morning thinking that it might have been irritating their bellies. The birds are fair bound and I only have until the 24th of this month to get them looking better. Is there anything I can do to help them along? Is straw a poor bedding choice for them? I attached a picture, this one appears to be the worst one.
    [​IMG]

-----
    Sorry about all the questions, first post and first flock, I had issues with Turkey's earlier in the year and want to catch the problems early.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

chickens have feather tracts (places where feathers grow) and featherless tracts (places where they don't) so it's fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by