Feathers won't grow and theres something over his eye.

Ocean Flare

Songster
Jan 29, 2021
Florida, United States
He's been molting for at least a month now, but these feathers won't grow back, I'm not sure why.
I also just noticed his eye is covered with something when it wasn't a few days ago. I took is off as much as i could, but i have no idea what this is.

Could his age (4.5 now) be part of it? He eats and drinks and is fine, but all my females died and he's all alone. He acts as he had for almost a year now, which is mainly moving to different places in his cage because he has curled toes. He could previously walk fine but when he got pretty old he really started having trouble, but it doesn't affect his mood or habits.
I can't have more quail, but I didn't think he'd outlive them since they were all younger.

Edit: not sure what the stuff on the paper is but he had food caked around his eye for some reason. I did see his shake his head while he was eating so could be that
Also, do quail breathe só obviously when theyre laying down, because i know they need to expand their chests? I guess I'm paying extra attention because I'm worried

Attachments

• 20221210_121646.jpg
    20221210_121646.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221210_122457.jpg
    20221210_122457.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221210_123145.jpg
    20221210_123145.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Looks to me like the feathers are grown in, but he hasn't picked away the keratin sheathe that keeps them all bundled and tube-like. Maybe he's having trouble with flexibility or control in his neck and can't reach his own back to preen? That could also explain why he's smearing food in odd places. Could well be his age—then again, I have a hen who will be 5 come spring and have never seen a bird look like this.

When was the last time you saw him use a dust bath?

Looks to me like the feathers are grown in, but he hasn't picked away the keratin sheathe that keeps them all bundled and tube-like. Maybe he's having trouble with flexibility or control in his neck and can't reach his own back to preen? That could also explain why he's smearing food in odd places. Could well be his age—then again, I have a hen who will be 5 come spring and have never seen a bird look like this.

He has a dust bath in his cage everyday. I change it when it's soiled or when I clean his cage.

I also have no problem sitting here and taking it off for him, so I'm doing that 😂 but he's so grumpy

Like a week ago. I just changed it though, so now he is again

Back
Top Bottom