1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feathers worn off! need advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by winekntrychicks, Jun 3, 2011.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have little silkie who was her roosters favorite. Her feathers have been worn away. I finally separated her from the rest. What can I do to help promote feather regrowth? Thanks in advance for replies.

2. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    I'd like to know this too since I have a few hens with completely bald backs. I've removed the rooster and it has been several weeks since then. They look like the chicken in the grocery store.[​IMG]

3. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:oh no! Yeah my poor girl looks like the last rose of summer! I wonder if we will have to wait til molt?

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Poor baldies! Have you tried those hen apron things? I know a lot of people use those until the feathers come back. I've also heard that black oil sunflower seeds promote growth.

5. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Quote:I actually used the hen saddles. My theory is that the treading of the rooster on the saddle rubbed the feathers off of the hen's back. Just my thought. I give my hens BOSS every morning as a treat. Now the problem is sunburn!

6. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Oh wow, you must have a very enthusiastic roo! [​IMG]

I wonder if chickens sunburn...

7. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    The bad news is I have had some hens that didn't get feathers back till molt. (Sorry)

8. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:A very spunky Silver Sebright. Who by the way didn't make it back to the coop tonight. Searched for him as best I could in the light I had left. [​IMG]

9. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Quote:That's what I'm afraid of. And that could be several months from now. I'm wondering if I should put some sunscreen on their backs when I let them out to free range. It was 101 down here yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by