february hatch along

Pics
Congrats hatchers!!
I got lucky and had 100% hatch, 14 incubated eggs, plus 3 seramas that I had given to a broody around day 4. The final one was a full assist, but she's doing great!
OEGB's, bantam cochins, and bantam cochin/chocolate orpington crosses.
WP_20180305_08_30_50_Pro.jpg WP_20180305_08_32_01_Pro.jpg WP_20180305_08_32_11_Pro.jpg WP_20180305_08_32_30_Pro.jpg

How do you do it, 100% hatch:bow

My own flocks eggs. :D :p

Now on day 9 are 18 BCMs and 4 lavender Orpingtons. All fertile. The LOs are from my flock, the BCMs were shipped to me. Was shocked to see 100% growth last night when I candled. But the air cells aren't great, so I certainly won't expect 100% hatch rate..

I just set eggs on the last day of February; does that still count for this thread? :D

I have 3 Marans, 4 Ameraucanas, and 6 Olive Eggers (mix of F1 and I believe F2) going in two different incubators. They were shipped from several states away, so I wasn't very optimistic...I'm not going to properly candle until tomorrow (day 7) but cheated a bit by putting a light to them without moving them at all while they're still laying in the incubator. I'm thrilled to say that I can't identify a single clear in the bunch! The 3 Marans and two of the darker Olive Eggers are very difficult to see into, but I THINK I can spot a little dark shadow in the same spot that the embryo is clearly visible in the rest of them. Tomorrow I'll more thoroughly candle them, trace air cells, and weigh them. I'm just blown away at how many are developing given they were shipped eggs. Fingers crossed that the rest of incubation goes well and I hatch a bunch of healthy little chicks! :fl

I just set eggs on the last day of February; does that still count for this thread? :D

I have 3 Marans, 4 Ameraucanas, and 6 Olive Eggers (mix of F1 and I believe F2) going in two different incubators. They were shipped from several states away, so I wasn't very optimistic...I'm not going to properly candle until tomorrow (day 7) but cheated a bit by putting a light to them without moving them at all while they're still laying in the incubator. I'm thrilled to say that I can't identify a single clear in the bunch! The 3 Marans and two of the darker Olive Eggers are very difficult to see into, but I THINK I can spot a little dark shadow in the same spot that the embryo is clearly visible in the rest of them. Tomorrow I'll more thoroughly candle them, trace air cells, and weigh them. I'm just blown away at how many are developing given they were shipped eggs. Fingers crossed that the rest of incubation goes well and I hatch a bunch of healthy little chicks! :fl

Nice! Good luck with your hatch. What incubator are you using?

I candle in place almost daily. :D although with the BCM eggs that I'm incubating now, I haven't don't it quite as often just because they are so dark.
I'm setting Call duck eggs this morning. :D

My own flocks eggs. :D :p

Now on day 9 are 18 BCMs and 4 lavender Orpingtons. All fertile. The LOs are from my flock, the BCMs were shipped to me. Was shocked to see 100% growth last night when I candled. But the air cells aren't great, so I certainly won't expect 100% hatch rate..
I had only 3 out of 32 eggs infertile and all 29 made it to lock down but only 11 hatched... some were from my flock and the rest were from meyer hatchery:idunno

dawnacus 543.jpg
My day yesterday... a friend had 23 extra pullets from an order and sold them to me for 1 dollar ea. I got a rooster from a near by farm SFH
unnamed.jpg

dawnacus 544.jpg
And I got some hatching eggs from them too. These are from a farm I have not used before pretty birds nice clean coop.

Nice! Good luck with your hatch. What incubator are you using?

I candle in place almost daily. :D although with the BCM eggs that I'm incubating now, I haven't don't it quite as often just because they are so dark.
I'm setting Call duck eggs this morning. :D

Thanks! Most of them are in an Rcom 10, but they gave me more extras than I was ready for so three of them are in a Janoel incubator that I trust much less.

Good luck with your hatch too! What do you find is the most helpful thing to look out for when candling the BCM eggs? I would be doing it daily too but my boyfriend is worried about the super bright light damaging their little developing eyeballs and I don't want to get blamed if we do end up with a chick running into walls or something :lau

Thanks! Most of them are in an Rcom 10, but they gave me more extras than I was ready for so three of them are in a Janoel incubator that I trust much less.

Good luck with your hatch too! What do you find is the most helpful thing to look out for when candling the BCM eggs? I would be doing it daily too but my boyfriend is worried about the super bright light damaging their little developing eyeballs and I don't want to get blamed if we do end up with a chick running into walls or something :lau

I could see the dark shade of the yolk, and the little swimmy black dot. A few of the lighter shells, I could actually see redness from blood vessels. But mostly just basic shadows and movement.
I had previously set some from my blue marans hen that weren't fertile, and they never got any shadows or anything.

I could see the dark shade of the yolk, and the little swimmy black dot. A few of the lighter shells, I could actually see redness from blood vessels. But mostly just basic shadows and movement.
I had previously set some from my blue marans hen that weren't fertile, and they never got any shadows or anything.

That's really helpful, thank you! I think I can see the little swimmy black dot in all of them already...but that would be so crazy to have 100% of shipped eggs develop so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom