Fecal Float Questions

Pics
Dewormed the entire flock with Valbazen today. .5 for most, .8 for the three meat birds that got a pardon, and .4 for one grow out. Will do the follow up treatment and then do a fecal reduction analysis on the ones that had the highest loads.

after that, I’m going to do weekly fecals to monitor how long they stay away.

I’m running all my horse fecals today.

@Sue Gremlin I just got a totally clear McMasters slide on a horse. I don’t have a centrifuge yet but I’m going to try a Wisconsin on that horse later today without centrifuging just to see if I can find eggs at all to show myself how inaccurate these McMasters can be.

I also found this. The only one. I still have a few slides to prep and scan, but I’m wondering could this be a tapeworm egg? This is 250x mag, measures 65um diameter. if I can get my “modified modified” Wisconsin to work I’m going to closer examine this girls entire poop. Is this even an egg? Could it be debris? Sort of looks like a plant cell?

my ID book can’t get here fast enough!

View attachment 2287242
That is not an egg.

Yes! Horse. No hooks. No defining much of anything. I think it’s plant debris?

found a smaller version that looks like it could be a single coccidia oocyst? Do you happen to have coccidia photos?

this one is smaller and fits the size of coccidia and also seems to have some more defining attributes whereas the other looks just like a ball.

View attachment 2287262
Not cocci.
IMG_3454.JPG

I’m running all my horse fecals today.

@Sue Gremlin I just got a totally clear McMasters slide on a horse. I don’t have a centrifuge yet but I’m going to try a Wisconsin on that horse later today without centrifuging just to see if I can find eggs at all to show myself how inaccurate these McMasters can be.

I also found this. The only one. I still have a few slides to prep and scan, but I’m wondering could this be a tapeworm egg? This is 250x mag, measures 65um diameter. if I can get my “modified modified” Wisconsin to work I’m going to closer examine this girls entire poop. Is this even an egg? Could it be debris? Sort of looks like a plant cell?

my ID book can’t get here fast enough!

View attachment 2287242
That's probably some kind of pollen or other plant artifact. The only tapeworms horses get is Anoplocephala spp, and there's an embryo inside. The most common ones horses get have D-shaped eggs.

This is a very interesting thread. It almost makes me want to by a microscope and all the accessories to assist in helping to take care of my chickens.

There were many interesting thoughts of how to and what to do included in this thread.

Lots of workable information included as well.

Thank you.

SO here's a plug for some articles I wrote earlier this year.

Fecal Examination in Backyard Chickens 101-Part 1
Fecal Examination in Backyard Chickens 101-Part II
Fecal Examination in Backyard Chickens 101-Part III

Back
Top Bottom