Fecal Float Questions

Pics
My concern/issue is posting links to FB is against BYC rules. I'm okay with it as long at the floaters club are okay with people posting links back to BYC.
Really? Why?
Then why not report the infraction and let us get back on topic.

I had no idea it was against the rules to postback to FB though!
I didn't know either.

I had no idea it was against the rules to postback to FB though!
I actually don't think it is. I went and checked the rules and TOS and here is the actual rule
" Do not promote other websites that are "similar" to our site, especially similar forums. Sometimes it may be appropriate to link to another site that has specific information relative to a question, but moderators have to right to remove links and posts at their discretion. "

I would not say FB is similar to BYC and I would say that in this situation anyway that it falls under the "Sometimes it may be appropriate to link to another site that has specific information relative to a question" and since the moderators haven't taken action I would say it is probably fine.

I think the Similar thing would be like if BYH was not in the same family if you came in here constantly trying to send people to BYH instead of BYC

My vet told me that five cocci or worm eggs per slide is fine but more than 20 should be treated.
Would that be for every type of worm, or was this advice specific to say round worms?
I would have to consult someone here, but I recall being told that Gapeworm certainly needs dealing with if present; it doesn't matter what the count is.

I did my thesis on this topic, more or less. Seriously! Animals and people have co-evolved right along with their worms. Removing worms has a price to the host. This is called the hygiene hypothesis, that people and animals who live in a super clean, infection-free world don't develop defenses and may develop problems later in life when exposed.
What the economic threshold for parasites in animals is is a very good question.
This would be my area of interest. Clean is unhealthy.;)
Here there isn't the tendency to administer drugs at the first sign of many of the health problems one reads about on BYC. The view is, right or wrong, that chickens have managed fine without the intensive medical intervention often advocated by some backyard keepers.
For certain sicknesses the birds are killed for; others have alternative treatments which I don't understand much about. The bulk of the health and diet knowledge here comes from the generations that have kept fighting birds. There is a vast untapped knowledge there. It remains largely untapped because of the current view and illegality of cock fighting.

Every species, and every breed type if domesticated, will have different responses to each parasite. There's no blanket 'safe' number that covers everything.
And the next issue is regarding what's an acceptable death rate, or rate of severe illness, in that breed or species, including ours.
A few roundworms, sure, but what about the one that's in an eye and causes blindness? That one tapeworm, or roundworm, in a brain?
I will accept a low worm burden in my chickens, but prefer zero in people, and dogs and cats who live very closely with their people.
Also, in natural environments, few wild critters live in confined spaces, as our livestock does.
Ramble over...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom