Fecal matter Q

JustMandy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
Dh and I culled a roo last night and got fecal matter on and in the bird. We rinsed it alot and it's in the fridge. Can we still cook/eat it or is it ruined?

You can still eat it. Just make sure you cook it to 180 degrees, so in case there is some contamination, it kills it. Factory raised broilers are contaminated all the time. That's why they always push cooking it completely.

agreed... just cook it thoroughly.... Other things: ((small suggestion for next time))... withdraw food 12 hrs before process---fewer worries and empty bowels to work with makes for easier process... ;-) hope that helps!

Yeah, just fully cook it like normal and you'll be fine. Any contamination is going to be on the surfaces anyways, and it's not like your bird will sit refrigerated for almost two weeks before you use it.

I'm convinced that a bit of animal poop won't hurt anyone with a healthy immune system that isn't very old or very young. Most contamination issues from fecal matter that sparks recalls are of HUMAN origin. Yuck!

I eat strawberries and fruits outside all the time without washing, or only rinsing, and do know that there must be at least some chicken poop dust on them. I've got an iron stomach though vs some I know.

Great, thanks everyone. He'll be in the crock pot for hours and hours so no worries about not getting cooked enough
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom